Need help positioning fans for cooling.

Hog Head

I just bought a 4.5" eco plus fan to see if it wil help with cooling the tank. If I can get the fans to keep the temp swing to 2 degrees or less over a 10hr period (currently have a 4 degree temp swing) it will save me a ton of money on a second chiller and electricity.

So I am starting with one fan and would like some input on where to place it. Pointed at the water, cross breeze diagonally across the tank, straight back to front?

Thanks, Eugene

You want to have as much air in contact with the water. So blowing along the longest dimension seem to work the best, IMHO. I like to kind of ripple the the surface water a bit (think slight offshore breeze). You will notice an increase in top-off water. I set mine at coming on at 81 and off at 80 degrees. You will likely be surprised by how well it can work.

You want to have as much air in contact with the water. So blowing along the longest dimension seem to work the best' date=' IMHO. I like to kind of ripple the the surface water a bit (think slight offshore breeze). You will notice an increase in top-off water. I set mine at coming on at 81 and off at 80 degrees. You will likely be surprised by how well it can work.[/quote']

I am assuming you have a controller? I don't so I was going to put them on the lighting timer. The fans are a little loud. My 90gal is virtually silent. No noise is noticeable from the overflow or fuge. The only noise I have noticed is a slight rattle from the Urchin Pro skimmer.

Yep on a controller. A timer should work too. You just might have your heater and fans working at opposing ends a bit. I was cooling over a 72 with 8 X t54's so there was not as much heat as your 2 X250 MH would produce.

Yep on a controller. A timer should work too. You just might have your heater and fans working at opposing ends a bit. I was cooling over a 72 with 8 X t54's so there was not as much heat as your 2 X250 MH would produce.

Should I angle it toward the water slightly, or just across it?

Try and get as much ripples as you can. This may take some re-positioning because of the lip. However anything you can do with having a fan under MH is going to help particularly if you have unshielded mogul bulbs.

No, my pendants do not have any glass. The fixtures are about 11" off the water though, so I hope that is helping a little. I am off to HD to get some aluminum flat bar.