Skimmer shopping...

omarortiz

Hey skimmer fanatics!

I am in the market for a new skimmer. My system is smaller and will grow to about 75 gallons max (including the sump). That is just where I want to keep things. It's currently a 30 gallon plus a 15 gallon sump (so about 40 gallons total).

I want a decent in-sump skimmer that will grow with me to the next tank which is a 50 gallon (build thread to come).

The catch is it has to be small enough for my current system, but big enough to make the future transition.

So, I have narrowed it down to some choices after searching for a while.

What I need is a good skimmer with a reliable pump (or easily replaceable pump) that is 22" or shorter.

What I want is:

• A good pump
  • A good warranty
  • A higher operating depth than 5-6 inches
  • A skimmer that works for a 40 gallon system or a 75 gallon system (medium stock).

The easiest choice seems to be to get the basic Reef Octopus 4" pinwheel or a Vertex IN-80/IN-100. They are good enough in my mind and they are well reviewed as long as you can read between the lines and recognize user error. I am currently leaning this way as I can later revisit skimmer at a later time and just save the skimmer for a small setup.

On the other hand, some cone skimmers I have also considered are:

• The SRO-1000-SSS. Which would be ideal if the water level requirements weren't so low.
  • The Skimz-181, which seems overpriced, but is closer to the right operating depth.
  • The SWC XT-120. The concerns with this one is the reliability with the pump and the sketchiness of the company owner, but this skimmer is short enough to elevate to meet the depth requirements.

But the inability to replace the pump with a different pump is a concern with the design of these types of skimmers where the pump is underneath (not really an issue with the SRO since it has a premium pump already).

Any other ideas suggestions?

I have an eshopps 100 pretty much same setup as yours and love it. Super easy to use and works great so far only ran 170 but I saw a cone one at coral reef in salem for 160. The premium aquarium also has them and Garrett is having an awesome sale on corals too so just my .02cents

i got the sca-302 off of ebay... its a knock off of the bubble magnus.... pretty cheaply made... im going to be running it for the first time today or tomorrow... i has very good reviews.... 129.99 with free shipping is hard to beat..

I think the reef octopus at $179 is a similar option to the eshopps 100. But, the eshopps s-120 seems like a good option as a cone skimmer. I can't seem to find those for anything less than $230.

I couldn't find anything on the sca-302. I guess I would like to get it from an actual store or website for support reasons.

The skimz i was considering is the cone skimmer. I figured if I was going to spend approaching $300, then I might as well get a cone.

At this point, one major selling point is being able to avoid Chinese pumps. That kind of rules out the SWC 120 and moves the Eshopps S-120 up the list. Actually that seems to eliminate all of the skimmers I was considering except the Skimz, the Eshopps and the SRO.

Archived