Now what?

cellowithgills

This one article/post infers that they will die out in the tank without the acro present.

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?16646-Tegastes-acroporanus-(The-Red-Acro-Bug-or-Red-Bugs)

It also says the life cycle is pretty short. I think I have them as well. They live on a blue stag frag. It is still growing, but I have no polyp extension whatsoever during the day. Because it is one frag, I am debating on QTing it in another tank for a week and treating it there just to try it out, but getting a handle on that interceptor stuff requires a prescription from a vet (it's a flea medication).

I had it pretty bad at one point a couple years ago. I would just blow them off with a power head once in a while and with the help of a hungry 6 line wrasse I haven't seen any in my tanks in years. From my experience they really don't hurt much so don't get to stressed out.

Revive Coral Cleaner worked for me. i had red bugs last month so i got a bottle of Revive and bathed my mini acro colonies for 10-15 minutes. i had to do it a couple times to get them all. they did fine with the bath and now they are happy!

I treated my tank as well. My corals look so much better now. I did have to spend a grip of money on new cuc though. Killed all my hermits one of my blood shrimp and one of my cleaners, along with my harlequin. However I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would just pull asK many Arthropods out of my tank as possible.

However as Miles said if you only have 2 acro's then I would pull them out, dip them and qt. leave your tank without acro's for 6-8 weeks and problem solved. Just make sure you get all of the acropora out. Any encrusting at all left on your rocks will keep red bugs alive.

Archived