Clam how to?

Gabe

Are there any tricks to remove a 5" maxima from a rock. I am trying to remove a rock from the tank that is infested with GSP, but my clam is also calling it home. I cannot get to the foot. He is wedged snug into a crevice.

Thanks in advance

Gabe

You need to figure out a way to get to the byssal threads and cut them cleanly. You need to be careful not to rip them out because this could really damage the clam. If you need to you can cut the rock and leave the byssal threads attached to that little piece of rock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If you need to you can cut the rock and leave the byssal threads attached to that little piece of rock.

This is what I would do if it truly has already begun to settle into rockwork. You will severly stress it, if not kill it if you pry it out. IF you can access the byssal threads, then cut them as close to the rockwork as possible (think of them as little feet you want to pry off, not really slice at)

Maximas and croceas (and maybe even all clams) mantle tissue can dissolve aragonite. Croceas and maximas use this in nature to actually burrow into the rockwork...it is typical to only see their mantle that is flush with the rockwork. This protects from attack and during storms.

Archived