Return pump decision? Which one would be right for me?

Hog Head

I currently have a mag18 and I am trying to decide if I need a new pump to handle return pump duties from the garage. RC's calculator says the mag 18 will put out approx 874 gph, iwaki md70rt 1227 gph. The calculator did not include reeflo pumps but the chart shows a snapper with an out put of about 1000 gph and a dart with about 1850-2400 gph. I do not want the return pump to create flow, just return water from the two sumps in the garage. What do you think? Which would you choose? The mag18 would be the cheapest of course because I already have it, but will it be enough? There will be about a 100gal of water in the sumps and the 210gal tank in the house.

Just curious, how much of a run do you have from the garage to the DT? Gravity feed the sump? What size PVC for the drain and the return?

Depending on the flow from the DT to the sump what you have right now is working and too much more pump will starve the sump. But need the ??'s answered to give you an answer

Just curious, how much of a run do you have from the garage to the DT? Gravity feed the sump? What size PVC for the drain and the return?

Depending on the flow from the DT to the sump what you have right now is working and too much more pump will starve the sump. But need the ??'s answered to give you an answer

Right now the sump is fed by a CPR overflow with two 1" drains with the sump inside the stand. The mag 18 runs wide open, it is not valved back. It only has about a 4' vertical lift sump to display with no horizontal.

The display that will feed the sump in the garage has two built in 1" drains that I will step up to two 1.5" drains. The total vertical return head height from the sump will be about 6'. Horizontal stretch will be 5-6'.

Right now the sump is fed by a CPR overflow with two 1" drains with the sump inside the stand. The mag 18 runs wide open, it is not valved back. It only has about a 4' vertical lift sump to display with no horizontal.

The display that will feed the sump in the garage has two built in 1" drains that I will step up to two 1.5" drains. The total vertical return head height from the sump will be about 6'. Horizontal stretch will be 5-6'.

The flow from all pumps drop off with increasing head. Flow biased pumps like the Reeflos drop off much more quickly than pressure based pumps like the Iwakis.

I have a couple of extra external pumps and could use a Mag 18 for water changes. Let me know if you are interested in some kind of trade combination.

Mark

Iwaki pumps are great, last a looong time. I would suggest getting the Japanese Motor over the American one and you can tell by the first two letters in the part # MD (Japanese) WMD (American) bad! (nono) but they cost a little more than the American ones (new)

Iwaki pumps are great' date=' last a looong time. I would suggest getting the Japanese Motor over the American one and you can tell by the first two letters in the part # MD (Japanese) WMD (American) bad! (nono) but they cost a little more than the American ones (new)[/quote']

So the american model is a weapon of mass destruction? (laugh)

I was running the cheaper version of these same pumps the gen x models. Good pumps

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

So the american model is a weapon of mass destruction? (laugh)

I was running the cheaper version of these same pumps the gen x models. Good pumps

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I think it is the Panworld or Blueline pumps that are yhe cheaper versions of the Iwaki. The Gen-X pumps are cheaper yet. I have extra Iwaki, Blueline, and Gen-x pumps. Too many pumps.

The flow from all pumps drop off with increasing head. Flow biased pumps like the Reeflos drop off much more quickly than pressure based pumps like the Iwakis.

I have a couple of extra external pumps and could use a Mag 18 for water changes. Let me know if you are interested in some kind of trade combination.

T

Mark

I have an Iwaki MD40RXT hooked up to my RO water barrel that I might swap out with the Mag18 if it will do a better job as a return pump. Sorry.

Archived