Aquastyle LED DIY

MrScuito

It's been a while since I've posted here. But, I actually have some thing to post. I just ordered a 36 LED kit from Aquastyleonline.com. It should be shipped on Monday. I didnt relize that I ordered during the chineese new year so, it will take a while to get it. I searched the net before I bought them but I could'nt find anybody that was not happy with their puchase, there were a few people that didnt like the drivers but most hadent even bought them but bought the meanwell drivers instead. Does anybody local have any experiance with this company or even bridgelux LED's. I figured if the driers are cr@p I could change them later. I plan on documenting my build. If anybody has any usefull ideas please chime in.

I bought their 36 LED kit with 18 cool white, 16 royal blue &, 2 UV. I also got the 18cm x 40cm heatsink with fan. It will be installed over a 24"x24"x18" tank. After reading all the DIY threads online that used Aquastyle kits I wounder if it may be too much?

What brand driver is it? The Bridgelux LED is fine. I use it on my units.

The driver I got is the maxwellen. I cant find a data sheet for them but the people who have got them seem to be happy with them other then the dimming is not as finite as they would like. However I have seen that some of the people who got them are still using them after 3 years. I hope to be able to upgrade the drivers to meanwells next year So, as long as they last that long I'll be happy.

So I have finished my LED's off until next year (at least thats what I told my wife) and here is the "final" product

SAM_0682.jpg

I decided to mount it all in the hood and just add an extra fan to keep the drivers cool

SAM_0680.jpg

SAM_0679-1.jpg

I went to Radio Shack and bought a small project box to house the pots and velcroed it to the side of the hood where the cord too the old T5's came out

SAM_0677.jpg

My wife likes to set deco stuff on the hood of my tank so I drilled holes in it and mounted one of the fans inside to keep the heatsink cool Neither the drivers nor the heatsinks get hot barely even warm to the touch.

SAM_0678.jpg

My only complaint is that I cant seem to get a good picture of the tank the lights seem to wash out the pic and all you see is a bright light even when they are turned down. I tried my wife's camera but still not much good. If anybody has any tricks on how to take pics under LED lights with an average camera i.e. samsung 12mp, casio 12mp please let me know. I need a GOOD new camera but, if I had the money to buy one it would prob be spent inside the tank!

Archived