110gal fowlr questions

Blackhand

Right now my tank is in the process of making my tank a fowlr tank gave my lps to my father in law since he has a thriving reef and I dont have the money for it, oh it was a very sad day and my tank looks bare. so i have been constantly looking up fish and inhabitants for the tank. So far i have this list:

Australian harlequin tusk (choerodon fasciatus)

Fuzzy dwarf lionfish (deridronchirus brachypterus)

Banana wrasse (thalassoma lutescens)

Zebra moray eel (gymnomuraena zebra)

Auriga butterflyfish (chaetodon auriga)

Humu Picasso triggerfish (rhinecanthus aculeatus)

Blue Jaw triggerfish (xanthichthys Aauromarginatus)

if any of these fish are not compatable please let me know or any other ideas for tank mates though i think i might be pushing it with that. Also I need ideas for a clean up crew i have a few medium sized hermits and have heard that halloween are good but what about snails i know im going to be running into problems with the triggers with that but any better to have than others? Also thinking about some urchins like a black longspine will he be ok if i do. I know that there needs to be good flow in the tank and right now i dont have very powerful powerheads but have two good pumps so was wondering what people would suggest for getting the best flow in the tank ive been looking into wavemakers and waveboxs but dont really want to buy a new powerhead kinda want to use what i have and go from there so was wondering reviews about: SCWD or squids as ive heard them being called, or sea swirls or something similar that i can use the pumps. I have been looking up on the internet for ideas but why waste any more time and ask the experts, thats why i love this site you guys are so helpful, so any help is greatly appreciated. Also (I know sorry for so much but im almost done lol) if anyone has anything that im looking for for sale or know where is the best to get them that would also be great im a poor college student but tax returns are coming soon. yeah

If it was me and I was doing a agressive FOWLR tank, I would take off the Dwarf Lion and do a regular Violtin or one that gets bigger and also the butterfly replaced with a Panther Grouper...lol The Zebra Morays get pretty big, so smaller fish might be a meal for it down the road. I would think Turbo Snails would be good, never delt with Halloween Hermits...and for flow, a little more info would help like how big your return pump is? You can often find good deals on powerheads at the local shops or on here in the classifieds might want to put up a "Wanted" classified add, or check craigslist sometimes people try and sell used equipment on there too. But I guess it all depends on what your return pump is pushing, since your not doing corals, I would imagine there could be more flow through the sump. I have seen return nozzle accelerators for sale pretty cheap, never used them, but it I guess helps increase flow from your return.

Hopefully someone with FOWLR/aggressive fish experience will chime in...I took care of a Panther Grouper LONG time ago in a 150g, Raised it from a baby, it was like my pet by the time it was big, I loved that fish, they are like the Oscars of the Saltwater world, they become very personable...

Good Luck, and hopefully someone will chime in with some real help..lol

I have a 3 foot zebra in my tank and he is the biggest push over of the tank. But personally I to would go with the bigger lion. I have 3 eels, 2 triggers, 2 groupers, and a volitan lion in my aggressive tank. In my experience so far I would say the zebra is the best choice of eels for having a peaceful fowlr set up.

I don't really see anything on your list that is to aggressive. This is just my opinion from personal experience. I also have halloween hermits and a green brittle star as a clean up crew. I put turbo snails in my tank but every once in awhile my large grouper likes to grab one and suck it out of its shell.

Thank you everyone on the replies so I guess I need to think some more about the fish I would liketo have a bigger lion but my wife likes the fuzzy but if henis going to be at risk inwont get him so thanks for the info also I really want a zebra but ifthey are a push over then would the fish that I want not be good for him? I guess it's not really that aggressive of a tank that's why I was considering the blue throat and the butterfly but if they are not going to work then maybe not groupers are cool maybe I'll consider a panther. Thank you everyone on the help also the pumps I have right now is one is rated at 1600 gph and one at 800gph and two koralias doing 500-600gph any ideas if I need something else or I would like ideas like a sea swirl or scwd or if anyone has any for sale thanks

Don't back away from a zebra eel. To me they are just seem calm. I have 2 other eels that are just evil. lol None of my fish bother my zebra. When it comes to feeding time he uses his weight to push all the other fish out of the way to eat. The reason I say push over is because he never shows aggression to my other fish unlike my yellow head eel who has no problems grabbing my lion and shaking him around.

thank you i really want a zebra and i dont think that i will change my mind on him just not sure about the others im thinking about a different lion then but what about a blue throat triggerfish does anyone else have any thoughts on them would it be ok with the other tankmates

Archived