Help me design my new sump!

Gabe

I have a 55g glass that I will be turning into a sump to put in the garage.

The display will drain into the left side of the sump. Return will be an external 2100gph pump fed with a 1 1/2" bulkhead. Skimmer has a 10x12" footprint.

I have some ideas, but am open to sugestions on partition placement, sock holders etc. I know some of you daydream about the perfect sump, lets hear some of those ideas.

Thanks in advance, Gabe

Homework done... Pump will be feeding 120 display, 40 frag tank, and possible sepperate cryptic fuge. If I need to adjust flow through the sump I can achieve that with a bypass in the plumbing.

Curious about different sump ideas, I can handle the plumbing.

Thanks

Well you have the frag tank and crypic fuge already in the idea outside of the sump, so those two things are the only cool things I have seen partitioned into a sump, guess more algae could go in there. I really like the idea of benthic zones for sumps. AKA crypic stuff.

Homework done... Pump will be feeding 120 display, 40 frag tank, and possible sepperate cryptic fuge. If I need to adjust flow through the sump I can achieve that with a bypass in the plumbing.

Curious about different sump ideas, I can handle the plumbing.

Thanks

Some ??

Ok, you have several tanks to feed from one pump, how does the water get back to the sump? What size PVC?

Will there be enough water left over in the sump to feed your tanks and the return pump*?

Using a 55gal tank 48"x13"x20" you would only use about 2/3's of the capacity or about 32g-35als working and the rest would be overhead *, your baffles would have to be spaced at least 2 1/2" apart, return area would need to be at least 10gals to keep from running dry,your baffles would probably at the highest would be about 12" tall and stair steps down from there to 11"-10" which makes your return area to be minimum 10"x13"x15"= 8 gals, baffle area about 8", so far you are using 23" of your sump for the baffles and the return. So about 25" left for filter socks, skimmer area and that's it.

You could go higher with the baffles to increase the working volume and decrease overhead.

And as Ed mentioned, you'll need a ATO for evaporation and probably get micro bubbles

HTH

*overhead= the room left over to contain the water rushing back to the sump from the overflows and the plumbing so as not to cause a flood when the return pump is turned off

This is what you are trying to do and IMO won't work in a 55

returnarea.jpg

The pump is a AmpMaster 3000 @ 3000gph with a manifold, plumbing is 1 1/2" all the way

water-dump.jpg

from the overflow box (bean animal) plumbing 1 1/2" all the way

my current 180gal

There really is no perfect sump, just one that you design for your needs and that works

return-side.jpg

intake-side.jpg

First off, thanks for the input, this is why I asked the question.

I will give a little more info. Current setup; 120 display w/MP40, 30gal sump 3 chamber (drain and skimmer in right section, no permanent sock, cheato in left section fed off maniford, mag 12 in center fed from both sides. There is a 1/2" hole in the devider between the left and middle section to ballance the water level between the two.). I have an ATO, and feed media reactors from the manifold as needed.

I want to move the sump to the garage so I can put a frag tank under the main tank. I have a 55g tank and an amp master 2100 sitting in the garage not doing anything. My budget will not allow buying a different pump, and I don't have the room for any longer than a 4' sump.

I figured after the 7 feet of head, and the plumbing restrictions my flow would be closer to 1500-1600gph. Also the pump could be throttled back with no ill effects to fine tune flow through the sump if needed.

The supply would be 1 1/2" to a maniford that would feed the tanks. The drains would be 1 1/4" from the display, 1" from the frag tank, 1" from the fuge.

I do not run a filter sock regularly, but do use them whenever I am doing any maintinance that stirs up sediment so I will be adding a holder so this will be an easier task.

I could always use the mag 12, but after 7' of head that puts it at about 800gph before plumbing restrictions.

Wanareef, thank you for your input. You do excellent work by your pics. Looks very nice.

Thanks again

Gabe

Archived