It Pays to do your Homework!!!

Reef madness

So here's an interesting one...Like many of you I eat sleep and breath around my reef tank (probably not healthy but true). Anyway, I was in the process of setting up a Phosphate reactor for my 180 gallon reef, and decided to go to my lfs and ask for media for my reactor. He suggested some Regenerat Phor by Brightwell Aquatics (dont laugh, please!). So I get home and thinking that this is the media for my reef tank I went to go and rinse 3/4 cup in hot tap water as the instructions say and thought "hmm this is really odd reactor media" as it was very powdery. So I put some in my reactor and started the process and quickly the tank filled with a white powdery substance. I immediately thought "wow this can't be right". I shut the reactor down and got online to see exactly what it was I was using. Low and behold it was the stuff to renew your Phos R media!!! I panicked and thought the worst and immediately called my lfs who sold me this stuff and was irate! Apparently, he misunderstood what I was after but said just turn your skimmer up for a couple of hours and you should be ok. Other than a white hard substance I had to scrape off the acrylic twice, so far no casualties! Anyway the moral of the story is always do your homework before you add something to your tank like I stupidly did!!

Glad to hear that everything is ok so far. We rely on the lfs sometimes too much (nothing against them) but they are there to make a buck. I have bought many of fish in the past where they all said "oh yeah that fish will be fine in your tank". Well $500-$1000 later you realize that "most" of the lfs are just out to make a buck. I will do my research from here on out for the most part..DOH!

Archived