Scoly question

Gilliroo

We have had 48 hours of Scoly drama. We have a beautiful bleeding apple scoly that we got from Kim and Beth a little over a year ago. Fat and happy. Until I moved him into an area that had too much flow. And he blew right off his base! (scary)

This was two days ago. We knew he had to be in the tank somewhere, so we just about dismantled the rockscape looking for him. No scoly. (scratch) (As an aside, why is it so hard to put the rocks back in place again? Giant jigsaw puzzle, only the pieces never quite fit back the same way. Doh!)

Sorrow and lamenting ensued. I got up in the middle of the night, dismantled the blue LED moonlights, and shone them all over the tank, looking for a hint of glowing green. No scoly. (sad)

When we got home from work yesterday- there he was! Behind the rocks! Looking pissed off, but pretty good, considering! The rocks were dismantled a second time, and scoly was gently retrieved. Kendra glued him back on his base, and we made a scoly hospital in the tank: small glass bowl with a little sand, top covered by netting so he can't float off again. We nestled the bowl in the quietest corner of the tank and gave him a snack. He was looking better. He likes Oyster Feast.

But now he's detached again. He's sitting up next to his base in the scoly hospital, kind of at an angle. Should we try to glue him a second time? Should we let him just sit directly on the sand in the little bowl? Kendra tells me that the base is formed from waste products, and that in theory, he should form a new base. How do we make him comfortable in the meantime so he can recover from his ordeal?

We need advice from the scoly whisperer.

Thanks!

Yes, the fleshy part separated from the skeleton. I have had acan heads do that in the past, and I glued them to a frag plug and they recovered. I don't know if a scoly will do the same thing. I figured that we had to try, though.

Its little feeders were out last night, and it did eat when we gave it the oyster feast. But it's just loose in its little scoly bowl right now.

wow, never heard of that but I assume it is possible...probably a last ditch effort to survive. I wouldn't glue it again. Keep it in the "hospital" and make sure it is as happy as it can be. Then I would wait and see if it looks like it is going to re-attach (I doubt) or regrow a new base (I assume). Got pics? keep us updated

Archived