One sump or two?

Hog Head

Starting to set up the 210 and I am starting with the sump seeing how it will be in the garage. I have two sumps, a 75 and a 55. I am going to use the 75 for sure and was thinking about using the 55 as well. The plan was to use one for equipment and the other for a fuge. I know this will increase the overall water volume but is it unecessary and overkill?

Sounds good. The trick will be keeping the flow running down hill. The plumbing will be passing through the living room wall through the pantry and out to the garage. The plan would be to stack the sumps and the top one might be too tall for gravity to do its job from the main tank.

I am doing basically the same thing. My friends are laughing since this is taking so long but my tanks are on the front driveway, at least.

I had heard that you need a drop of at least 45 degrees but, to me, with large enough pipes to the sump(s) it should be mitigated? I posted the same ? and Steve pointed out that a siphon only needs a very small drop. Because it can't build up much of a head from gravity it is limited in flow.

I had originally planned to stack a 40 on top of a 40 after a run through my living room to utility to garage sumps. Lately I have thought about pacing a 40 and a 30 sump on the floor. I'd be running dual 1 1/2" pipes through the living room wall to pantry and to garage (actually 2X since I'm plumbing for 2 living room tanks). I'll use my 2" bulkheads to plump from the 40 to the 30.

I am following along on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the stacked sumps in the garage will work. But, I have chose to get the SWC 250 1A which needs 25" + 1/2"-1" of clearance above the skimmer for cup removal. This means the skimmer might have to be on the upper level, before the refugium. Will this effect the function of the fuge? Does it even matter? I have always had the fuge before the skimmer.

Archived