led light question

psaprilcruz

I actually work at petsmart and wouldn't recommend the light...DOH!

Your better off if you want LED's to spend a little more and get a decent light. I think that Ed's reef had a LED light that was around $150-$200 that would work good for it. Probably the cheapest you can find a decent LED light for reef's though. Might want to check with him..(and no Ed this isn't because you mentioned me in your posting(laugh))

Thanks for the comments. I don't have much money to spend I got a gift card to petsmart and so I thought I would ask. Most of the extra cash goes to water right now. I hope to get everything figured out in the next year. I am just glad i have a zoa that is thriving under a 15watt t8 50/50. I got it almost a month ago and it has more color than it did under the leds at the store, and has put on 2 new heads.

If you got a gift card, and the petsmart has a reef LED, that would def be an improvement for sure!! I after 16 plus years though think in the long run and buy my things acording to a future upgrade and what that might be. To bad it nwasn't for Petco, I want a 40B and they are having there $1 a gallon here very soon and I woulda given you a $ for $ on the card!!

at least you can get your food' date=' and some salt there, but there salt is more $ than if you went to any one of our sponcers here.[/quote']

Not neccessarily. I just picked up a bucket of salt for $20 there for a 150 gallon mix. I wouldn't use it in my reef tank but I was thinking about setting up a qt in the future. Some of the saltwater stuff is going clearance at our stores so you can snag some decent deals but in the long run the quality of salt for a reef tank is better left in the hands of a true saltwater store.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya but you would prob need 2 of them since they are like a spotlight and dont have much of a light spread. If you plan on putting a hood over the tank you could use CF bulbs, go to HD and get 3 of the creamic light sockets, a blue party bulb and 2 of the whitest CF bulbs ( check the K rating and get the highest you can find prob arround the 7k range, stay away from the 3 to 5k, much to yellow) put the blue in the middle. Lighting would cost about $25. I did this over a small frag tank and it looked pritty good!

Would a par30' date=' or par 20 led light work on a 10 gallon?[/quote']

You might not get the edges of the tank fully lit unless you have the bulb really high or two of them. I'd go with a 7 LED par38 instead, like this one: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-141/%28New%29-7-LED-PAR38/Detail

You probably wont get full coverage with just one bulb, but the lower light edges would allow you to grow lower light coral.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Archived