The Wreck

huskerduck

wreck-1.jpg

I picked up a used tank 3 weeks ago after being out of "reefing" for a decade. I guess it was time to not have a life again.

Its a 125, I really wanted another 150+ but got a pretty decent deal so this will do for awhile until I build my acrylic 200 gallon.

This tank came with a GenX 2400 and 4100 in the sump which I moved to the tank with dual outlets and plugged into wavemaker outlet. I added a Genx 55HP with the wave device splitting 4 more outlets for a total of 9 outlets moving between 2000 gallons and 2500 gallons in a very unorganized wave action that appears ever changing. Im thinking a timer on the 4100 for nightime shutdown to give the guys/girls a little resting time.

The "wreck" is 40" of ship cut in half, it seems to be a playground for everything and I am patiently waiting for coraline coverage. Its amazing watching the creatures drawn to anything manmade, its like a magnet.

I am curious what everyones favorite salt mix is and why. Also I am dosing Kalk, Magnesium, Iodine and strontium for now and curious what everyone else adds to their tanks. It took me a awhile to even out the magnesium and now it seems calcium is really getting devoured quickly.

wreck21.jpg

wreck20.jpg

wreck19.jpg

wreck18.jpg

wreck17.jpg

wreck14.jpg

wreck15.jpg

wreck8.jpg

wreck7-1.jpg

wreck6-1.jpg

wreck4.jpg

wreck2.jpg

wreck5-1.jpg

wreck1-1.jpg

wreck3-1.jpg

I actually wanted to put a mirror on the back but figured I will probably build an acrylic or find someone that can bend glass and make a 175 ish gallon tank, this is sort of temperary to get coraline growing on the ship and such. I really want a little taller and more square than rectangle like my older acrylic corner tank I had and make the wreck on a peak in the middle of a hill of sorts. Hopefully coraline will cover the back soon enough.

Ive missed some pretty funny shots of hermit crabs and their tightwire acts on the ship, Ive had a dozen or more crawling all over the lines and never thought to take pictures. The Blenny loves the ship and spends hours and hours all over the Captains quarters and laying in the row boats. Ill try and leave the camera by the tank and get some funny shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man!! What a beautiful tank!!! Ive heard talk of people wanting to do something like this but never actually seen it and I really thought it might look kinda tacky. Well...I guess it dosent! (If done properly, which yours appears to be.). Thanks for showing it off.

Dennis

Oh man!! What a beautiful tank!!! Ive heard talk of people wanting to do something like this but never actually seen it and I really thought it might look kinda tacky. Well...I guess it dosent! (If done properly, which yours appears to be.). Thanks for showing it off.

Dennis

It really doesnt look as impressive in a shallow tank as it does in a tall tank. In my old 200 gallon which I had before digital cameras, it was 2.5' tall and basically a Bow front of sorts.

Im really just baiting and waiting for coraline and all the other goodies that attach quickly until I find the right person to bend acrylic or glass to make the another tank which will be tall.

Unfortunetly you cant even see the really cool parts yet ( the actual break) which has to be buried in this tight of tank, when complete and in the new tank it will be rolled sideways and look snapped by the reef itself.

After 1-1/2 months its really developing fast, coraline is popping up nicely and its just amazing how everything in the tank that can move is drawn to "manmade" shapes. Its a shrimp snail, and crab playground and the Blenny, Manderine, Hawkfisk Hotel.

In its final resting place itwil be slightly more busted up as far as masts and row boats ( all 12 ) go, it will be scattered to resemble a hard bottom hit. Its alot of fun to build the ship and then watch it evolve as well as watch how all the creatures react to manmade structures.

Thanks for the kind words, the end result will be much less noticable and will be more realistic and hidden. Too bad I cant make a 200 gallon bottle or Id be set.

If you are still looking for someone to build you an acrylic tank ask/talk to James from Envision Acrylics. You can even leave him a message thru his forum here.

I should price them out but I have an account at the Tigard acrylics place ( cant remember the name but its huge and I get great prices on acrylic but I would like to have Envisions possibly bend the front since I no longer have my heated tube to do it myself. I can do everything else which is sort of the fun. I really want glass since acrylic is so prone to scratches and cleaning them can be bothersome if I remember correctly