Faulty heater

racefan

I just found out the hard way I had a faulty heater in my QT tank. I was starting to lower the salinity for ich treatment & dipped a finger in the water that has a tiny (and I mean tiny cut on it) the heater had stray voltage going to the water. YA BUDDY Now that got my attention! I unplugged the heater and reluctantly dipped my finger/voltage tester in the water & all was fine so I went to my other two tanks & tested them, what the heck I'm heavily life insured (laugh) I grabbed a spare heater I had for the QT & all's good now. Hopefully the little nervous twitch that the Wrasse has will go away. Just kidding, there's no twitch but I'll bet it's a whole lot happier!

I'd gladly pay double or triple for a super high quality heater. Sadly so many on the market are cheap cheap cheap. Early on, my poor pico reef was subjected to 90 degree temperatures for a day. I replaced that heater only to get one that kept the temperature at 85. Then I replaced it with one that had the best reviews of any heater I could find (that would fit in my tank) and it worked great for a month... then started swinging the tank temperature 5 degrees either way. I haven't had one put out stray voltage yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I finally switched to using one of those little flat hydor heaters that's unregulated and plugged it into a reef keeper lite. Problems solved. I seriously hope that heater doesn't decide to electrocute the tank some day.

Archived