Unknown Entity... Please help me ID this thing!

Phil D. Bowl

Found this blue worm-like creature swimming across the upper part of my water column before crash landing in the spot you see here in the photo... he swam with a wriggling motion like a water snake... hes about 1 inch long and looks more like a caterpillar than a worm really... maybe some kind of sea slug? but do they swim?

I just wonder if it'll get big and if its reef safe...

2011-11-14_21-54-06_787.jpg

if i see him again... hes going to take a ride in the "sucky-sucky" (turkey baster)... i dont think im going to exterminate him right away..... ill get a 10g out and set it up for him and watch him for a. while....

Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.

Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.

Thats exactly what came to my mind. Maybe instead of setting up a seperate tank, put him in your sump for further study. You coould get one of those little critter cages and put a piece of live rock in there for him to hang out with.

im brainstorming a new setup with the gear i have... hoping to share the sump with a 10g isolation tank. Ive got quite a few 10g tanks to play with so im going to try my hand at drilling one for an overflow.

Part of the reason i want to do this is... ive found a few ( one confirmed and one possible) mantis shrimp babies in the main tank. one i caught and verified his ID... after a long convo with the wife we decided to exterminate it. then while cleaning the rena canister i found a second larger one who made a loud click sound before crawling deep into the filter pad... unfortunately i couldn't verify its ID so i just ran some hot water over the filter for a while and rang it out witch im sure killed it...

I think it would be fun to catch and keep one.. they are a neat specimen with an awesome adaptation that i would love to study on my own.

Its like my take on hydras... Did you know they don't have a life span? apparently they can never die of old age, only outside forces. i want to find some! i want to keep them in isolation somewhere in my fish-room. at one point i had some in an African cichlid tank. he would devour fry! it was fine by me... the tank was a 10g shell dweller tank and if i had let it over-populate it would have crashed... so the hydras dd me a favor!

anyway that's enough rambling... i hope i can find this guy! i actually lost some sleep last night trying to find him >.<

Archived