dumping dirty water

uhuru

I am on a septic system and I'm a little worried that dumping dirty aquarium water down the drain would be bad?? I don't know, it's only 1 or 2 gallons though. Or should I dump it on my driveway (which is all dirt)? What do you think?

Im on my own septic as well and I dump mine in my driveway. I generate at least 50 gallons a week, and it does a great job of killing most of the weeds....

BUT...just a little fyi, i asked this same question of a marine biologist recently and was told that the bacteria in your septic system will not even be phased by saltwater

quote Jerel:

bacteria work just fine in salt water, you use the same ones in your aquarium.

Many places in the islands use salt water for flushing toilets, etc. and many septic tanks around the coast have salt water intrusion.

Clorox (salt water), and water softeners put more salt into a septic tank.

The one reason you would not want to dump a whole lot of salt water, more than you would ever use with a water change, is if you have very heavy clay soils. Salt can cause heavy clay soil to compact. Most field lines have gravel around them for drainage, so that's not a problem.

I still put it in my driveway..but just soemthing to think about