Wanting to start a refugium

Fast5oranger

I am wanting to start a fuge in my sump but don't know much about them. I understand how they work and what they do, but thats about it. Space is quite tight in my sump, so my first question is; Would an area approx. 10" x 8" x 12" deep be large enough? What kind of light do you need? Is there anything I need to be aware of? All input is greatly appreciated. My tank is 110 gallons, 30" deep with a 35-40 gallon sump.

A deep sand bed could be used there, but I would recommend that you just grab a clump of chaeto and a home depot low kelvin bulb and a cheap clip on shop light and let it soak up a ton of nutrients. My setup in my sump area is a deep bed of miracle mud, two mangroves and a clump of chaeto in between the groves, all powered by a energy efficient 7 dollar clip light and bulb, powered alternately to main lights. Its fun to watch the groves and chaeto grow.

A deep sand bed could be used there' date=' but I would recommend that you just grab a clump of chaeto and a home depot low kelvin bulb and a cheap clip on shop light and let it soak up a ton of nutrients. My setup in my sump area is a deep bed of miracle mud, two mangroves and a clump of chaeto in between the groves, all powered by a energy efficient 7 dollar clip light and bulb, powered alternately to main lights. Its fun to watch the groves and chaeto grow.[/quote']

+1 perfect for a dsb, some macro algae a clip on light a spiral bulb and alternate the light cycle to keep your ph swing balenced.

++1

Congrats on becoming one of the fuge folk.

Some guys go all out and buy the fuge mud or whathaveyou but I have heard mixed reviews; or they go with the DSB, but i'm keeping it simple. There may be a few small pieces of LR i'll toss in and the wife will make a little garden with the macro. We may try some mangroves this fall.

I got this puppy going this weekend. I'm far from done from my little project, I'm going to make a secure input line bracket, and modify a 10G hood for a bigger bulb and reflector but this is all it takes.

My Fuge ala basic:

IMAG0092.jpg

Links of intrest for a fledgling fuger:

*Reefcleaners.org

*6500vs 2700k bulbs (melv's study)

*Wet web media's Refugium Index

*And perhaps the best info would be from Reefkeeping Mag's Beyond the Fuge

Best of luck and be sure to keep us updated!

Archived