Loud Return pump

jabrbox

my return pump that resides in the sump, is extremely noisy, unless I continue to fill the sump. It seems that its returning more water than whats coming back in, then its loud and it seems that the noise is like air being sucked in. I have tried reducing the output with the valve on the return line but then i stop getting enough water through both heads. I took it out last night to find a product name, nothing, no model # or anything. The PVC attaches to a 3/4" line on the top of it, and the side has another 3/4" female threaded socket with a plastic cone in there with a big filter slid over that ( which is where it sounds like the noise is coming from) does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Plus it constantly is pushing micro bubbles into the tank.

What type of over flow do you have? My drain lines from my over flow get reduced by algae growing in them(thus slowing the flow to the sump). Is the water level in the display normal. If all that is normal it looks like it is time to clean and inspect the pump for the possibility of replacement.

Your return pump should not be used for flow in the tank unless you have an oversized sump and have set it up for that. It sounds to me like you have too large of a return pump, and your drain lines are not large enough to keep up with the water being returned. Dial it back down and add some powerheads to the tank. This will also take care of your microbubble problem, provided you don't have a hole somewhere sucking in air.

That seems to be the problem, the pump sucks all of the water out to about 1/2", if I move it to the next chamber towards the skimmer it sucks it out of there too. I took the filter off last night and installed a 90 pointing down about 1/4 - 1/2 off the bottom, its not loud now, but blowing micro bubbles all over even if I dial it back, so now really puzzled I was sure the air was coming in through the side with the filter on it?

Archived