Air Conditioner

cellowithgills

How effective is an air conditioner as a sort of cheap chiller? I'm thinking about buying a cheapo one and connecting it to my reef keeper so that it turns on at 81 degrees and shuts off at 80. I know that's a big swing but the past 2 days my tank has gone up to almost 83. (scary)

This is also a WTB add, looking for an air conditioner for under $50.

I got rid of my chiller after getting a huge window unit. It kept my 55 gal from getting over 77-78. Even on scorching hot days. Keeps the 29 gal at 77.5 to 78 with a 250 watt halide and PCs hanging 6 inches above it. But this is a 17,500 BTU AC unit. If the tank is in a smaller room, a smaller window unit would probably do okay. I think there was one for sale in the non reef classifieds on here not too long ago.

I just need to make sure that I get an old one with dials instead of a digital display. Otherwise when the controller turns it on' date=' nothing will happen, right?[/quote']

Maybe not...my digital unit has memory so it recalls the previous setting, others do reset, extra homework

I used to live in an apartment with my 29gal tank, and the apt would get over 90 on most days in summer. I installed a small window air conditioner, put up some styrofoam in the windows to block any sun from coming in, and hung up sheets to concentrate the cold air to the living room and the room with the tank. Worked out just fine, never had heat issues with the tank.

Another thing you can do, depending on where your sump is located, is build a box around the sump from styrofoam and install the window air conditioner to blow into the box. This will keep your sump nice and cool. I do something similar with a small cube fridge for temp control while my beers ferment.

Archived