float switch VS. float valve for A.T.O.

Dustin

so im planning on making a diy ato and was wondering what everyones oppinion was on whether i should use the electric floatswitch or a floatvalve which is more reliable and any other info reguarding diy ato's that would b important to know

Really depends on your setup. I use floatswitches because i would rather not rely on a valve which has access to an unlimited supply of water. Should that valve fail, there is no backup to stop the RO unit from flooding the tank. You also need to be able to run the RO line to your sump which wasn't an option for me.

When using floatswitches its always best to use a relay and a fail safe back floatswitch. I've had 1 floatswitch fail in 8 years, and thanks to doing it correctly, all i lost was the one floatswitch :)

ok so i should get 2 switches and place the second higher in the sump so if the first goes bad the second will kick in? something i did forget to mention is i dont have an ro unit and will likely start out buying ro water so to get water from resovoir to sump should i use a specific type of pump or will any power head or pump work? and also is there a specific brand of switch that is better or can i just pick anything up i saw on ebay they have a lot of different ones and i also noticed there are horizontal and vertical any big differences in preformance?

Yah 2 switches, the higher one has the float flipped upside down and doesn't touch water so the circuit is always open. Should the bottom switch fail causing the pump to keep pumping in topoff water, once it reaches the 2nd higher up switch it pushes the float up causing the circuit to close.

Yah you can use pretty much any pump, i would suggest an aqualifter. They are cheap, work great and last a long time.

All the topoff stuff i got from aquahub.com:

2 i-float switches

moldable holder

relay

relay socket (don't really need this, use female spade connectors instead)

aqualifter

I used an old cell phone charger for the transformer. Head to the dollar store and snag an extension cord and you are set.

so would this b a good deal? http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html and then an extra $15 for the aqualifter

I wouldn't get the kit, there is stuff there you don't need.

2 aquahub i-float float switches $13.98

1 12V relay $7.99

1 Mold-a-Holder (9 inch) $3.95

2 i-float tubing adapters $3.98

Plus the aqualifter, and i'm sure you have an old transformer laying around your house somewhere. I know i've got about 10 of them (laugh)

so would this b a good deal? http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html and then an extra $15 for the aqualifter

I wouldn't get the kit, there is stuff there you don't need.

2 aquahub i-float float switches $13.98

1 12V relay $7.99

1 Mold-a-Holder (9 inch) $3.95

2 i-float tubing adapters $3.98

Plus the aqualifter, and i'm sure you have an old transformer laying around your house somewhere. I know i've got about 10 of them (laugh)

gill does the use of a timer make it a fair assumption that i would need to figure out my evap rate per day and time accordingly?

Nope, you just set it to come on a couple times a day. When the float valve closes the pump just keeps running, but it doesn't hurt it. I did have to set it to stay on for longer these last couple of days because I have had a lot of eveperation due to the heat.

P.S. I personally would never use a float swith unless I had to, IE a nano tank with limited space.

I use both a float valve and a switch. Float switch in the sump hooked up to my RKE - float valve with electronic solenoid for my makeup water in the garage - I usually have about 35 gallons on hand. What I like about the solenoid setup is if you lose power the default is CLOSED = no flooding :) In the sump I have two switches - one to turn on the ATo and the second to catch it IF/WHEN the first switch does not trigger to an off position when full! Has not failed me yet. The ONE problem I have had is I have no switch to alert me if my sump level gets TOO low (I use a 5 gallon bucket for ato).

I run this on my garage makeup water - I have a ton of the acrylic frames, just need to order more float switches and solenoids and I can make more :) I run a bit different setup on my tank ATO as I use the TOM aqualifter pump and the float switches are hooked up to the RKE

aqua015.jpg

The solenoid defaults to off with no power, good idea as it helps to avoid floods during power issues:

aqua014.jpg

Archived