Protein Skimmer Question

jabrbox

I dont know what the brand name of my skimmer is, it's pretty big and resides in a section of my sump. It is very noisy as the water dispurses out of the 2" tube into the sump, sounds like a waterfall.

my question I was going to plumb a return from the top of is down into the sump to eliminate the sound, but i noticed the gray, soft ring around it that the water flows over on it's way down. Is this another part of the skimming process or can I just add my pipes and let it bybass this ring thingy?(scratch)

I'm guessing the grey soft ring thingy is a sponge that is in place to reduce micro bubbles being put back into the tank, should be ok to remove it but you will get more micro bubbles in your tank. That is if it is what I think it is. Kinda hard to tell without pics

Since yesterday I am having a micro bubble issue, I am not sure why I always have bubbles coming out of the return heads into the tank, not real bad actually looks cool with the salt (air stone effect), BUT every other tank I have seen does not have these bubbles so i reduced the flow from the return pump into the tank and was getting an even flow, no bubbles and my return pump was nice and quiet. Last night I came home to all of these tiny bubbles all on the front of the tank, i cleaned them off this morning woke up to the same thing, so i am getting confused on how to keep these away, and not shoot them out of the heads? I will post a pic of the ring that I was refering to for a better understanding. Thanks for the feedback.

BTW - My tank has a stand pipe that goes directly through the bottom and plumb'ed into the sump. The only other things in the tank itself is the return heads at the top (1 on each end) and 2 power heads, heaters of course.

Well you need to figure out where the MB are coming from. If they are coming out of the return lines, that means:

1. skimmer causing MB and not enough baffles to cause them to pop before they reach the return pump (or too much flow thru sump to allow them to pop)

2. hole in return line sucking in air causing MB

3. drain lines are creating MB and there are not enough baffles to cause them to pop before they reach the return pump (or too much flow thru sump to allow them to pop)

Snap a shot of your sump too!

Archived