Has Liveaquaria lost their minds?

nhowe

We are blessed to have some awesome fish shops where we are. Its all about supply and demand with online sales. For example, a friend of mine once sold a package of gummy worms on ebay for $30, they weren't magical gummy worms, just the common household variety. But if something isn't available locally some people will pay anything for something if they want it bad enough.

We are blessed to have some awesome fish shops where we are. Its all about supply and demand with online sales. For example' date=' a friend of mine once sold a package of gummy worms on ebay for $30, they weren't magical gummy worms, just the common household variety. But if something isn't available locally some people will pay anything for something if they want it bad enough.[/quote']

You nailed it on the head. Some of this stuff that we can't sell on the boards here for the life of us would sell extremely fast online. The LFS are selling stuff super cheap because they know were cheap...LOL

If you look at other areas they would be amazed with how cheap we can get stuff locally.

All their algae is really expensive. And its $30 plus $39 shipping, that's almost $70 for some calurpa. Buying marine life online is fun, but it just isn't practical.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would have to disagree with this comment as I think it depends on your local to a fish store and the type of goods they carry for folks in your area your are a tad spoiled as most city's don't have the selection you have up there and would have to make a long day trip to get the quality the Portland area has to offer and for those folks buying online makes sense if its a reputable seller.So I guess it just depends on what you value your time at and the quality of dry goods and live goods you can get locally.

caulerpa

I agree! We ARE blessed with an abundance of good LFS for our area. My daughter lives in Redmond Wa. and has few (quality) stores to shop at. Because of supply and demand, the prices there are high compared to ours.

A word of caution regarding (Halimeda) Caulerpa: I had some just appear naturally in the tank so I continued to let it grow thinking it must be a good thing - a natural filter...one day it suddenly turned white and the water turned into mud!! You couldn't see the back of the tank using a flashlight!! Needless to say, I lost almost everyting; no more Caulerpa (of ANY kind for me)!

I also agree w/ Jody. We are spoiled here. My mother in law lives in Kent and has a tank. For variety and prices, it's best for her to drive down here for livestock. I also have family in Montana, some have a 200 mile drive to the fish store. Sometimes the price of convenience is worth it, depending on your location and access of what you're looking for.

Having said that, and even living where we do, I've bought online and been happy with my purchases. :D

I would have to disagree with this comment as I think it depends on your local to a fish store and the type of goods they carry for folks in your area your are a tad spoiled as most city's don't have the selection you have up there and would have to make a long day trip to get the quality the Portland area has to offer and for those folks buying online makes sense if its a reputable seller.So I guess it just depends on what you value your time at and the quality of dry goods and live goods you can get locally.

I agree with you. What I meant was that it doesn't make much sense for me or other people around here to order online since there is such a saturation of quality local fish stores. When I was talking to someone who lived in North Dakota they were so excited about having a new fish store open 6 hours away from their house. I can name at least 5 stores just within a half hour drive from my house.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This wan't meant to be a thread about how reefers are spoiled in places like LA, Florida, and Portland. Of course most major cities close to the supply lines have many saltwater stores and competition is high among those stores. That keeps prices extremely low. Midwest places like North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Montana, Wyoming have little market for saltwater stores (Now I'm not talking about major Midwest cities like ie. Kansas City or Chicago). That is why there are very few stores in the Midwest. The saltwater hobby is not as popular if you live in the sticks and the stores can't survive. Very few dedicated people keep saltwater aquariums. In some areas even one saltwater LFS would be broke in a matter of months unless they also had online sales. People in rural areas also have other hobbies like bass fishing, tractor pulls, mud drags, killing bambi and spending thousands of dollars on duck decoys. The point of the thread is that even for online 30 bucks for grape caulerpa is not close to competitive with other websites. i'm starting a website. 29dollarwysiwyggrapecaulerpa.com That makes me more competitive than liveaquaria. JK. Local stores around here are great. I don't think anybody here can argue that .

Archived