An overflow and plumbing survey!!

414driver

Let's see how you experts would do it! A new Marineland 70gal cube (30x30x18)w/ the useless corner overflow...which is coming out. The tank is getting drilled in the back...

I'm thinking a coast to coast bean animal type overflow...pushing about 900-1000gph through the sump. Then creating additional 1500+gph through a closed loop..using a Snapper throttled up as much as possible...possible incorporating a 1" Squid or a 2 way Oceans Motion unit.

Any better ideas for the man who hates powerheads???

I think Coasts to Coasts take up a lot of room.

While I am not a fan of looking at powerheads it is very possible to design the system to hide them if you plan it out. A couple of the Hydor Evo's well placed on a wavemaker would be cheaper, get more flow, and be more electrically efficient, and reduce heat.

An Oceans and Motions unit would increase the randomness of the return, and adding a penducter on the end of it would allow you to drop the flow through the sump to an easier and more manageable level.

Closed loops are something I have played with quite a bit, and they do have a good purpose, but I am not sure if this is one of those IMO.

I agree coast to coast overflows take up a lot of room unless they are external. I'd go with a glass-holes.com overflow box.

Alse, depending on the size of your sump, 900-1000gph thru there is A LOT. Your skimmer won't likely be able to process all that water unless its huge.

Archived