value of used tank

Reefer503

Hey all, I've been looking around for a tank, I want something between 55 - 90 gallons.

I found a 65 AGA (34x18x24) in great condition for $100. I guess I have always heard that $1/gal is a fair price for a tank, but the seller says that $100 is a great price for that used tank.

I don't have a lot of experience buying / selling aquarium equipment.... so the question is, does that sound like a good deal or no?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tanks around 55 gallons are a dime a dozen right now. I've even seen people give them away on c-list. I'm sure the 65 is a nice tank, just so many tanks that size are on the market. But here's the link for the 90 gal with overflow box for $150. Much better deal if you ask me. http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?27243-Tank-moving-amp-misc-sale

I got really bored and decided to check C-list for tanks. I've seen 60 gal glass tank listed for 50 bucks and a 140 gal glass for 179 bucks. Just remember when dealing with c-list, price that something is listed at is rarely the true value. I think I also saw the 65 gal that you were mentioning. The guy saws holds water and no scratches but in the picture its sitting on concrete in what looks like a garage with a bunch of stuff leaning on it. Might be a good tank but it looks like it's been in storage for a while. I'd personally buy one from the classified here. At least most are up and running or recently taken down.

thanks for all the replies guy, I do think I'm going to go with something from here knowing it was/is running and is from people that know what gear it is they have. I see so many posts on CL where they don't even know the size or what items are and thinks it worth more than it is.

Plus with buying used from here you know that is was used as a reef tank allready, when buying from CL you don't know what they had used it for or what meds they used in it, and run the risk of that CL tank having copper or something in it ( most freshwater med's are copper based) so you will never be able to grow corals in it.

Plus with buying used from here you know that is was used as a reef tank allready' date=' when buying from CL you don't know what they had used it for or what meds they used in it, and run the risk of that CL tank having copper or something in it ( most freshwater med's are copper based) so you will never be able to grow corals in it.[/quote']

I did not know that about the copper... so much to learn about saltwater.

I've always had freshwater tanks, fully planted and somehow have never had to medicate the tank. I do regular checks on the water and with the real plants, my system has always seemed very healthy.

Thanks reef165, I need to come check out your store. I usually go to The Wet Spot and love their store, but it seems geared towards freshwater.... maybe I have just not noticed if they carry a lot of saltwater creatures.

Archived