Adding a refugium with copepods? Help please.

akambience

Alright, I have a few questions. I was hoping that you guys/gals could help me understand the concepts. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR and a 10 gallon refugium that I'm plumbing in this weekend. I'm planning on having some macroalgae on an alternating light schedule then my main tank. I'm interested in a population of copepods so that my scaled friends have something to munch on around-the-clock. Are there any disadvantages to breeding copepods in my refugium? The refugium will be gravity fed back to my sump, before being pumped into my display tank with the return pump. Will the copepods be chopped up in my Mag5? Won't the ones that are uneaten just wind up in my filter sock?(scratch)

Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just make sure it goes into the last chamber in the sump. Yes you will loose some but it's the best possible spot in the tank for them to breed like crazy. I have tons in my fuge. I have not had to use tigerpods or anything else since I've had the fuge. My fuge is a tad bigger at 40 gallons but I'm sure based on your tank size it would be comperable.

Good luck!

I think if you have a fuge Copepods will breed in it wether you like it or not... LOL :-)

I think it is better to gravity feed into the display, but like Noob said I'm sure some will survive the trip.

Should there be anything that I should be concerned about? Is my desire to provide food for my fish a viable rational for buying a bottle of pods from one of the LFS? I think I read that the pods will eat detritus. Is this true?

I tried the bottle of pods myself with no luck. I am reminded of the movie Field of Dreams "build it and they will come"... LOL. Seriously though if make a fuge and feed it with cyclop eeze you should have tons of pods in a month or two. If anything you should seed it with pods from another reefers tank IE a piece of cheeto or live rock. I think the pods in a bottle are great as food but not so great as starter cultures.

Archived