HELP

Holly

Today when i got home, I found a molted shrimp skin floating around in the tank.

It's a MANTIS molt. A MANTIS. What can I do? Any ideas?

I have little crabs (emerald, pompom), peppermint shrimp, and even some very small rock fish. HELP! (scary)

And while I'm in a panic, searching frantically in every crevice in the hopes of spotting the killer, I found THIS and have no idea what it is

Please tell me I'm not also infested with some weird killer anemone that's harder to annihilate than the Crown of Thorns (flame)

Can you tell I'm in a TOTAL panic! I know what a grown mantis will do to all my livestock! (flame)

NO - I have NO IDEA and my rocks are FILLED with holes. He could be anywhere. (sad) I have NO idea what to do. What's a mantis trap??

post-266-141867735591_thumb.jpg

The molt looked like it was the battering--not the harpooning--kind. The crinkled molt was an inch long, which means it's not tiny. Molt floated behind the rocks and I was unable to catch it, and now I can't find it anymore. (I wanted to inspect it closer)

Do you know if Patrick (or anyone else) has a mantis trap I can go get?

OMG - I have a parasitic anemone TOO?!

Could this day get any WORSE?!

NEXT I'll put my hand in and get bitten by a surprise blue-ring octopus, then fall dead onto the floor.

I can't just pluck it off and flush it? I'm supposed to take a syringe of apple cider and squirt it onto the anemone after taking it out of the tank - or IN the tank?? Please excuse my ignorance; I've never heard of this before. Thanks..

DOH!

I squirted a little less than 2mL of the vinegar right into the middle/mouth area. It closed up under the edge of the rock. How do I know if I killed it? I guess I just keep waiting to see if it opens back up..?

Man. I feel like such a noobie idiot today. :(

Patrick said that Neil's was a Corallife mantis trap and it sckd, so Patrick's gonna try to make me a homemade one.

The anemone is still whithered into that little crack. Hope that's taken care of, at least...

Thanks for your help Bob

I stabbed it and it seemed to deflate a little more.

That anemonee was on the backside of my rock, so it could've completely gone wild replicating itself before I found it, had I not started frantically searching for the mantis.

I've looked everywhere now and haven't found another one (anemone), so maybe I got it in time. Only time will tell.

The only unaccounted-for fish is my tiny (1.5") yellow watchman, but he often goes days at a time w/o coming out of his hole, so I'm holding some hope that he's not a mantis victim. (fingers)

THANK YOU!

I'll be at home until 2:45. Gotta pick up daughter from school then take her to swim class between 3-4. You can reach me on my cell during those times (it's on Patrick's caller ID)

You're godsends (icon)

I've got the trap set, but thus far I've only caught my dottyback (in the first five minutes!!(flame) I guess it likes scallop)> Had to break it down, get it out, then set it up again.

PS THANKS to Patrick for making the trap for me!!

At Fanta-Seas, someone filled me with hope saying that it might be a molt from a pistol (my two died, and I flushed cadavers, so if it's a pistol, it's one I don't know about). I HOPE I'm wrong and they're right, but I have to say.. The molt was long with no body curve to the back, two hooked front arms, and a small fan-like tail. I IMMEDIATELY recognized it as the bludgeoning type mantis--like the one a had a few months back that I caught and boiled out of a rock. I've only found some hermit parts and a decrease in peppermint sightings lately, so if it's preying, it's not hurting my fish yet.

I suspect that maybe that rock also had eggs or babies that got out before I treated it, because I haven't added any corals or rocks since then. Is that possible or has it been too long?--For it to only be around 2" long by now? (The molt was longer than an inch, so I figure the mantis is prob 2" or so)

If I get it alive, I'll drop it off at Patrick's in a jar and whoever wants can have it. I don't need to kill it; I just need to get it out of my tank.

Nothing got into the trap last night. Scallop is still untouched and it's empty. Darnit.

Maybe the molt was old and it just got loose? ..Maybe it belonged to that mantis I killed many weeks ago, and it just now got pushed out of a crevice by a shrimp or something...

I'm working hard on this delusion. (crazy)