Glueing frags

Mitchell

Ok, so I bought some frags at the meeting and I want to glue them to the rocks. I have BSI IC-Gel that I used to glue other corals in the past. But when I try to glue the corals I got they wont stick no matter how much glue I put. I have only been able to get one frag glued, all the other ones fell of. I held a coral in place for like 5 minutes and it didn't attach to the rock. I never had a problem glueing frags before, why am I having a problem now and what can I do to glue them?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would say that you some algae growing on the rock, or the glue is glazing over before you get to the rock.

I like to brush the spot with a stiff brush or scrap the rock clean. Then try and move a little fast as you go down in the water.

See how well that works.

When I glue Frags to rock I put super glue on bottom of frag, a little ball of epoxy and some more glue on the ball and then quick like lightning I stick it where I want it, giving it a little twist back and forth to work the glues int the rock and bottom of the frag. Hope that makes sense.

Yah the key is to twist it a little when you push it into place. Once the superglue gel hits the water, it forms a layer over your glue gob. Twisting breaks that layer and lets the glue out onto the rock to harden and hold.

Sometimes it just won't work with superglue. Then its time to move on to the aquamend epoxy ;)

I always make a ball on the end of a toothpick and get it to attach on the rock first, then apply to the frag and then twist like miles said, best to find a hole, ledge, etc not a flat round spot on a rock

Thanks guys. I have been taking my sweet time getting the glue on the frag and putting it in the water, I'll hurry up and see if that helps. I'll also scrub the rock off to make sure there isn't algae on it. If I'm still having problems I'll get epoxy. Oh and J.R. I am gluing sps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Archived