Question about live rock.

KMiller

Just picked up probably 80-100 lbs of lr (couldn't lift the tote by myself, had to drag it in!) and it has been sitting in the tote, completely submerged for a few months (nono).

When I opened it up and starting looking at the rock, I noticed a smell. It stinks! And no, not just a "Sea" smell. The owner said he never used any kind of meds or chemicals in the tank either.

Any idea as to what I should do? Re-cycle the rock? fresh water dip for some time? help! (scary)

Above my head with this, but I would first rinse it in saltwater. Get it out of the nasty water it has been sitting in. If you didn't do that already. Wait for a better opinion than me on the fresh water dip. It won't hurt anything to wait a couple hours and wait for some shop owners and experienced people to weigh in.

If it has been sitting in the same water for a few months with no water changes or flow then the smell is all the life that has died. To cycle rock you need to treat it the same as you would a tank. (water changes, temp, flow) only thing you don't need is light.

The smell was just stagnant water. Since kmiller never cleans out old hoses (my job) she has never smelled it before lol

My 40B is maxed out on rock now. I cant wait to setup the 110G!

Actually you did a good thing (clap)

What I would do is to take it out of the tote, scrub it with a brush and put it back in the same tote, put fresh salt water and cover it again so that no light goes into it. Repeat this process every week for three to four weeks, And then your rock is going to be ready for your new tank!

Now I'll tell you why this was a good thing (naughty)

This process is called cooking the rock. What happend during the cooking is all the pests and algae etc dies but the only thing that thrives are the bacteria that process ammonia, nitrites and nitrates! I usually do this to all my live rock if I buy it from a tank (or use Dry BRS rock) to make sure all the pests are cleared. ofcourse, there may be good surprises that come with rock die as well (so called hitch hikers), but more often, it is the unwanted surprises that I would rather not have!(scary)

So good going guys!, Time to setup a new tank in 2 to 3 weeks then! (clap)

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

We now have TONS of rock for the new tank! our 40b is FULL, We're talking front to back, side to side, there is rock everywhere without any gaps (other than space between the rocks)

we'll leave it in there for probably at LEAST another month, to make sure it is ready for the new tank, and when we start getting the 110g set up, it'll (hopefully) be smooth sailing!

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

We now have TONS of rock for the new tank! our 40b is FULL, We're talking front to back, side to side, there is rock everywhere without any gaps (other than space between the rocks)

we'll leave it in there for probably at LEAST another month, to make sure it is ready for the new tank, and when we start getting the 110g set up, it'll (hopefully) be smooth sailing!

You may want to seed the rock in the 40 breeder with a little bit of good rock. I say that because a couple months in a tote may have killed off a lot of your larger hitchhikers.

Archived