lighting options

kschaefers

So I'm thinking about upgrading my lighting on my tank because I have cf's right now on my 46 and I feel like I need something more powerful, I have mostly sps, the corals include a frogspawn, mushroom colony, zoa's, lord acan, favia, palys and an anemone, I'm just looking for some suggestions on what would be best, I've considered led's but I don't know much about them and not sure if mh would be to much lighting in that size tank or t5 as well, im open to your suggestions or if you have something for sale that would work let me know, thanks

My brother has a 46g bowfront and runs one 250w MH and 2 T5's which is a good combination. LED's would also work however they are more expensive to set up. (Down the road this is returned through lower costs later)

All forms for lighting, T5HO, MH or LEDs would work for you and they all have "almost" equal power!. It will boil down to what is your budget. It terms power consumption, it is MH> T5>LEDs. Other issues with these small tanks is the heat that MH puts out! there again, it is MH>T5>LEDs. The initial cost factor LEDs are expensive than MH and T5 but if you do it yourself, the cost can be brought down significantly (this is true for for MH and T5 also).. Between MH and T5s, the T5s can give you better choice in spectrum but choosing different bulbs that is not possible in MH and also replacement cost of bulbs (and in some cases untimely death of bulb), T5 comes ahead of MH, I think!

Archived