So I bought a new return pump...

dippin61

Well I finally gave in and bought a new return pump. Some of you may know that I'm a huge advocate of slow/low flow through the sump. For the past couple of years, I've been using a MJ1200 as my return pump. Works awesome, and lets the skimmer do it's job. My only problem with it was, that my U-tube would always get air trapped in it, because the flow wasnt enough, so I found myself resetting the U-tube once a week or so. Kind of a pain in the butt. Gotta turn off the return, pull the U-tube out etc etc.

So I didnt really want to spend much on a fancy return pump, so I ended up getting a Sea Line SL-6530 which is rated at 430 gph. (Great pump BTW. Its quite silent, more so then the MJ1200 I was running.) I figured my regular 'ol U-tube overflow with 1" drain would be able to handle it no problem. I always thought a U-tube overflow with 1" drain could handle about 600gph.

Problem.

First off, the overflow couldnt handle the return pump. I actually had to add another U-tube I had laying around just to keep up with it. And that added even more problems. Flushing. To fix the problem temporily I added another hole to my stockman. That seems to have helped the flushing a bit. Still makes noise, but for now I can live with it. But the overflow still doesnt look like it can handle it. The water level inside the overflow box, doesnt go down as far as it used to, and has stopped skimming the top of the water. So now I have scum on the top.

So, where do I go from here? Should I try and plumb in a ball valve on the return and have the excess drain back into the sump, (problem is I run 5/8" vinyl tubing. Do they make 5/8" PVC?) or do I just bore out the overflow drain to handle like a 1.5" drain?

I would only do 1 u-tube...

how much space do you have between the u-tube and the bottom of the skimming box? Too little and water can't get out fast enough, causing water to rise in the main tank, above the overflow box. Well that was my problem anyway.

I tried doing 2 u-tubes before and one always breaks it's suction. Plus 1 is more than enough for your pump.