Temp Monitoring?

pnkrcklives

What do you all run to monitor temp? This is going to be my first summer running halides. I have no a/c. My house is also not that well insulated. I am wondering about something that can monitor two temp probes on a real time digital readout. I have plenty of glass thermometers. They are just kinda a pain cause they are always floating away. And seem to end up behind rocks and over flow boxes. Any info helps. Thanks in advance.

If temps get to high considering running fans across the top of the tank (and sump). If that doesn't work you may have to run the lights early in the morning when its cooler then turn off at peak temp.

My house also doesn't have AC and i have been considering picking up a portable AC to have near the tank.

If your looking for a simple temp readout im using one of these and haven't had any issues http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3744+12089&pcatid=12089

For the price you could order a couple for dual read outs :P

Just ordered two of these to get me monitoring temps(for now) thanks for all the help. Love this forum.

I used the coralife digital thermometer, it was worthless IMO. Mine didn't last three months :-(. So long as you check it with one of your glass thermometers before you make adjustments you should be fine.

P.S. I use a thermometer that has a magnet instead of a suction cup, works great except that it's a little hard for the kids to resist playing with it LOL

Be careful on using the coralife temp (or other brand.. they all use the same chip just rebranded).

Many people (me included) had issues with them. I would go for something better than that.

I have 1 probe from the Apex plus 3 probes as a backup from the Reefangel. Every now and then (when I test the water) I just manually check the temp with a kitchen thermometer (the ones used to test meat temperature). But I'm paranoid because during the summer of 2009 I fried one of my tanks because of a coralife thermometer.

Be careful on using the coralife temp (or other brand.. they all use the same chip just rebranded).

Many people (me included) had issues with them. I would go for something better than that.

I have 1 probe from the Apex plus 3 probes as a backup from the Reefangel. Every now and then (when I test the water) I just manually check the temp with a kitchen thermometer (the ones used to test meat temperature). But I'm paranoid because during the summer of 2009 I fried one of my tanks because of a coralife thermometer.

I also had problems with the coralife thermometer. I switched to the lifegaurd little time and temp thermometer, it uses a triple a battery instead of a hearing aid battery, does it still use the same chip you think?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I always run at least two thermometers. I feel much safer. Currently running 2 Aquacontrollers with automatic secondary shut-off on heater and fan on programs.

I have had two Coralife thermometers. One was off by 10 degrees and the other by 4 degrees. Used to have a Kodak Process calibrated mercury thermometer. Thing was dead on accurate. Give my eye teeth to have it again.

Archived