Great reef tips and tricks

oldbrownies

I was reading a few old posts and I noticed some neat tricks that might get lost in time, notably Ronjunior's use of a mirror to aquascape his two sided tank.

Does anyone else have little usefull tips they might like to share? If you do post em here and we can all learn a few handy tricks

Here's what I can think of right now...

To save on salt, I use my reef display's water to do my water changes on my FOWLR tank, I used to have a bad algae issue in that tank (I was using the same source water too), but ever since I started doing it this way the hair and almost all of the cyano has dissapeared too, and coralines are growing like crazy in it too.

Another tip, water from your dehumnidifier is NOT the same as distilled, don't even think of recycling unless you are using it on your plants! I saw a couple posts on other sites where people said they were thinking about using that water to save on water bills, I tested my RO, tap, dehumidifier water, and ro water put into a bucket that i hadn't rinsed after a water change yesterday, RO was at 0 (yay me), tap was 32, dehumidifier water wat 63, water in "unclean" 5 gallon bucket was 36.

Oh I just thought of another one,

Put some small LR rubble (rough stuff 1-2inches in size) in your overflow, not enough that they are piled up. If you have an over the edge kind, put it in the back compartment and let it sit underwater, its a goldmine for little pods and bugs and miniature shrimps, its also incredibly efficient at catching detritus that flows through. It slows the water down a little around the rock and the gunk falls out of suspension, vacuum it out on occasion, and collect the pods for fish food