sand suggestions

finch6013

Gill' date=' I think your sand looks a lot like fiji pink from what I know of it.[/quote']

Hollywood sells Fiji pink as well, this stuff is definitely different. There is actually a lot more pink in the stuff I have (I am basing that off of what I can see through the two bags in the store). Is Fiji pink arogate?

Edit: I just Googled it looks like Fiji pink is an arogate sand. I could be mistaken but I believe that means that Fiji pink is crushed shells, the Tideline is crushed coral.

That does look nice. I got some of the figi pink the other day. Its pretty fine' date=' but if it doesn't blow around too bad then it will be a great looking sand.[/quote']

I really like the Fiji pink, did you have to rinse it?

I made the mistake of not rinsing some sand (not Tideline) and it made a mess!!! I waited two days before I drained the tank and rinsed the sand over and over again :-( still the water was cloudy! I added some rinsed Tideline on top and now it is looking better. Last time I forget to rinse. It's also the last time I buy Atlantic Crushed Coral sand.

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I have a question. I am pretty new to the hobby, three months in with a 55G FOWLR tank. I bought another 55G thats drilled, and I want to change over to the new tank. I have a fine live sand bed at about 2" deep. How best should I move it over? should I dump it and start fresh? Thanks for the incite.

I hope this is the right place to post this' date=' but I have a question. I am pretty new to the hobby, three months in with a 55G FOWLR tank. I bought another 55G thats drilled, and I want to change over to the new tank. I have a fine live sand bed at about 2" deep. How best should I move it over? should I dump it and start fresh? Thanks for the incite.[/quote']

Welcome,

You can probably make the move over fairly easily, you might want to keep the fish and corals in a separate tank/tub for a night as the sand settles back down. Also its a good idea to start here.

link.

Put up your tank details, that way when people ask you about your tank (so they can help) you have a ready link at hand.

excellent. I shall make a post. thanks. How long can those critters stay in the tubs? I have a few 10g about I can use. should they all go into one? I guess i'm concerned about the temp and ammonia levels etc. Will the sand release a ton of nitrates once it all stirred up?

Three small Blue/Green Chromis

One adult female Bicolor Anthias

Two cleaner skunk shrimp

15 crabbers (one halloween crab with a sour temperament)

15 assorted snails, (four turbo, two babylon snails)

45 pounds of LR

octopus-110 skimmer

excellent. I shall make a post. thanks. How long can those critters stay in the tubs? I have a few 10g about I can use. should they all go into one? I guess i'm concerned about the temp and ammonia levels etc. Will the sand release a ton of nitrates once it all stirred up?

Three small Blue/Green Chromis

One adult female Bicolor Anthias

Two cleaner skunk shrimp

15 crabbers (one halloween crab with a sour temperament)

15 assorted snails, (four turbo, two babylon snails)

45 pounds of LR

octopus-110 skimmer

Are you sure you want to go through all the hassle? I have a 55 gallon sps reef tank that is not drilled and doesn't even have a sump and it is doing fantastic. I have a good hang on the back skimmer, a gfo and carbon reactor and I do weekly 5 gallon water changes and that's it.

If you are going to do it I would pay a trusted local fish store to hold your livestock and just dump your old sand and use new sand, I would wait a couple weeks and monitor your water quality before adding your livestock back. You can use your old sand, but un my opinion it's not worth the hassle or risk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I wouldn't reuse the sand. Every time I have tore down a tank the sand smelled really bad. You might keep a few cups of it just to help seed the new stuff though. When switching over fill your tubs with water from the tank and when you set up your new one use as much of that water as possible to fill the tank. It's fairly safe on your live stock but plan a full day to move everything and expect to lose some things also.

Archived