FlOW how much is too much

SaltISlife

so ive recently switched out my quiet one 4000 (1017 GPH) to a pondmaster mag 9.5 (950GPH) as i had so much head loss from the rise of approx. 5 ft from the sump to the main DT with the Q1. it amazed me the differance in these pumps, the mag drive pondmaster is so quiet and powerful despite the GPH rating which you would think is in the Q1's favor. BUT now im wondering if there is too much flow in my tank resulting from this, SO what im wondering is what amount of flow is too much, i mainly keep sps and some ricos and a nem in a 40G breeder with around 50 lbs LR and 2-3 in of LS

There is a diffence between a concentrated blast continuously and a sweep. A wide flow one direction for 10 minutes then a flow for 10 minutes the other direction has worked well for me. One of the best tanks I ever had for growing coral was a closed looped 90 gallon with 5800 gph pump on it. That 90 gallon tank kept detritus/food suspended in the water column for fish and corals to eat and also kept corals clean also allowed my skimmer to work the way it was designed!

i built a coast to coast overflow using 2" pvc which runs to the sump, and it seems to be running fine with the added flow rate the return side is the mag 9.5 which runs through 1" tubing through a SCWD and up to the DT. the only thing i can say that i dont like is the added flow is causing sand to move around, not ALOT but enough to create some little berms and pockets, is it ok to have some sand moving around?

Yeah i like great flow to that's why i asked if he can direct his flow better like towards the glass for bounce off or up more.Just away from the sand.

I wish i had 2 mp40's.But my wife says that's not in my reef budget.lol

I should of put to much flow on that spot.Flow to me is very important.Still water causes problems. I like a lot of flow at the surface also.I kind of have a circle motion at the top of my water pushing the water from the side of the drain down the tank then back around and down the drain.

I run almost 40x turnover in our 40b DT an it's not enough for my tastes' date=' I like LOTS of flow and know multiple people who run 75x+ turnover, and one person who's running almost 100x turnover in their DT.[/quote']

Thats cool n all but we are talking return pumps. Unless you are running say a reeflo barracuda full throttle as your return?

Archived