DIY stand progress

cellowithgills

Though I'd post picture of what I've accomplished so far. The dimensions are 60"l x 30"w x 42"h. This thing is big!

image-4.jpg

image_2-1.jpg

image_3.jpg

At this point the joints are joined with only one screw each, but the middle shelf has 5/16" lag bolts. I'll have to dissemble it to get it into the house. Looks like it wont be going through the wall (sad). Next will be a couple of cross beams and the chip board for the shelves.

Looks very good! I like a taller stand like you have. I hate to paint/seal chipboard. I would suggest 2X4's vertically between the horizontal framing, if it is a glass tank, since the lag bolts will be the only component resisting downward shear force.

Yeah, big tank!

I'm with algae. I built a 73x36 without the vertical 2x4 and I had to add them later. I only had 2 40b on top of it, but it was enough to bend the 2x4 and the top.

I had to use a car jack to do the job. The 2x4 do bend easily

Kinda like this. You could also do the same in the middle. You would cut 4 for each 4X4 upright. You could also do the same for the middle. If you have a chop saw with a stop it would be quick work. If you could get it to my house we could whip it out.

I would advise getting plywood with waterproof glue.

DSC_0023.jpg