is this necessary

J & Jr

Just putting the finnishing touches on my new sump and was wondering why are there three baffels in a over under over bubble trap? it would seem to me that any bubbles that made it past the under section would just float up to the serface and the last plate dosn't seem to do anything am I missing somthing?(scratch) remimber this is my first sump.:p

Ya, sumps can be a PITA, just take it slow and show your design, where water comes from main tank I usually make a 4" x 4" piece and have the pvc lines from the main tank drop in them, making the 4" x 4" "drop-chamber" higher than water level and open 3" or so at the bottom. This forces the air bubbles to have to travel to the bottom right at the start, works good, now you just have to contain the micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Also keep in kind that if you are using a in sump skimmer, you want the first baffle in the skimmer section a little higher than the last, set at the optimum operating water level for your skimmer. That way the water level NEVER changes in your skimmer section, so that evaporation and if and how your ATO works will not matter. It will skim consistently the wet or dryness you prefer.

Don't know how to post pic's yet but first sump is a simple one. from left to right a 10"X16" for intake w/sock & skimmer, a10"X16" center return and a 11"X 16"X14" fuge. this seems to be a common layout looking forward to filling it tomorrow hopefully no leaks. I have taken pic's from the start building frame drilling tank building sump but all the pic's are 3 to 5 meg's and I have to get my nephew over to show me how to fix the size and post them in the tank section.

Don't know how to post pic's yet but first sump is a simple one. from left to right a 10"X16" for intake w/sock & skimmer' date=' a10"X16" center return and a 11"X 16"X14" fuge. this seems to be a common layout looking forward to filling it tomorrow hopefully no leaks. I have taken pic's from the start building frame drilling tank building sump but all the pic's are 3 to 5 meg's and I have to get my nephew over to show me how to fix the size and post them in the tank section.[/quote']

Do you use Outlook express??

If so......mail them to yourself. A window will pop up asking you if you want to shrink them to send them...walla...insta shrink.

Or you can get free photobucket account and then post them full size as well as some easy editing options.