tips for moving

city hunter

Last week was a bad week for my family. My father passed away, and now I am in the process of finding a new place and I have a deadline to get out by the 30th of april.

Right now I have a 75 gallon tank with around 15g of sump water. I do have a 150g tank I wa splanning on using, and figured I could get it setup at the new place, but the problem is I wont have enough time to cycle. Now I dont know how good or bad disturbing and moving the sand bed from my current tank will be. I was planning on moving the cycle rock n sand to the new tank and some water. I have quite a load on my tank right now and would really not like to lose any of the fish or coral.

Will the new tank still go through a entire cycle with moving the sand bed and say part of the water n rock? Any tips would be great.

Start mixing up salt water now and storing it. I would try to keep as much of the old water as possible. I think there are times that we are so paranoid about this type of stuff we forget what happens on the real coral reef. I would try to keep the sand/cloud storm in the tank to a bare minimum. That will be the most stressful thing. You could keep the fish in a heated bucket while the added sand settles down. I think the corals will be fine so long as you keep the sand off of them. Shake em off under water or put a powerhead on them (again when the sand/funk settles) Also, your skimmer will go crazy so stay on top of that. Hope this helps.

Sorry about you dad.

I'm in the process of moving and probably upgrading and I'm planning it this way:

you can set up the new tank with fresh water or, better with water from water change of the 75g. Or a mix of new and old.

When you are ready move all the water from the 75 to the new tank, as a big water change. Put rock and corals.

Throw away the sand and get some new one that I would add after a few weeks.

It is possible that you are gonna lose some corals or fish. You will have a few mini-cycles but if your 75 was well established it will handle it.

Good luck with everything

How long has your current tank been set up? If it's less than a year or so then you can probably use the old sand. If it's been a long time then I would just use new sand. (Keep 10 or 20 lbs. of the old sand off the top to seed the new sand and add it first) Other than that just use all of your old water and treat it like a huge water change. Your still going to have a cycle however it should be a fairly light one and chances are good that most of it will come through fine. Expect a few losses though. (I lost 3 or 4 corals after I did my last tank swap) I transfered all of my fish right away but kept the corals in totes for a couple of days until the tank cleared enough to rearrange the rockwork and so I could see where I was putting them.

Sorry about your Dad.

Just like others have already stated sorry for your loss.

I just moved my current 120 from the previous owners house to my house. I took basically all of the water it had in it and the sand. I had a couple hundred pounds of rock at my place already so we didn't have to haul that. It took about 6 hours with two of us working on it most of the time.

THanks for the replies. I will definately have my work cut out for me. We are still looking for a house right now, and I have to leave town for the next 10 days on a job. It also looks like I have to deal with a probate for my fathers will. Man what a pain in the butt it is to die.

I would ask a fellow reefer if they have a hospital tank you could store your fish in until after the cycle and if someone has room in there main for your coral.

I do Have both but i don't know where you are moving and how far your willing to drive.The offer is open if you want it.You could also ask your LFS if they have room.Sorry about your dad.I'm sure he is in a better place.

• 4 weeks later...

gotta thank west side for helping me out. He is gonna house my fish while im in hte process of moving. That new 1000g tank he has is amazing. I love that lfs, and gotta say, I cant wait to get my new tank setup with the 2 mystery wrasses, and potters angel I bought a few days ago :).