New fish store in albany area?

Emerald525

Don't wate your time. Tanks are dirty, lights off on half the tanks, most are empty. My tank has more stock than he does.

If your into freshwater... that's where the shop shines. The new owner has made it clear he only keeps the saltwater stuff around to keep the word around.

I really miss Liquid Sunshine :(

The one in Eugene is called Nautilus. I heard it's nice. Have not been yet.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Go and voice your concerns. Maybe he hears from enough people he will clean some stuff up and realize dirty tanks is bad for business. Frankly he needs to hear the truth from more people. I don't know if he is burnt out or what. If he cleaned up and had stock I would have spent hundreds there not to long ago.

Another store in town is Pet Time (not great) and Aquaserene (clean tanks but spendy).

To bad some hobbiest doesn't open a nice store down here. I would love to have another garrett down here lol

Interesting! Thanks for the info Drew. Guess I won't check it out.

Go and voice your concerns. Maybe he hears from enough people he will clean some stuff up and realize dirty tanks is bad for business. Frankly he needs to hear the truth from more people. I don't know if he is burnt out or what. If he cleaned up and had stock I would have spent hundreds there not to long ago.

Another store in town is Pet Time (not great) and Aquaserene (clean tanks but spendy).

To bad some hobbiest doesn't open a nice store down here. I would love to have another garrett down here lol

Thanks for the information Drew. I guess we won't be going there. Maybe we will check out Aquaserene. They used to be a sponsor here.

Don't wate your time. Tanks are dirty, lights off on half the tanks, most are empty. My tank has more stock than he does.

If your into freshwater... that's where the shop shines. The new owner has made it clear he only keeps the saltwater stuff around to keep the word around.

I agree his fish room is very dark, not sure if it is for the effect of just tank lights on or electricity use. What you are sadly mistaken on is his stock and cleanliness. I am sure you took the time to seek out the owner that is there everyday and ask him these questions, if not I guess I have spent more effort seeking the answers then you. No offense, but his tanks are pretty clean, I would say way more clean then most stores I have visited with the exceptions of maybe Garretts. His stock was low because he doesn't seem to have the hook ups for good corals that he wanted yet and he was having issues with the halide system above his two 300+ gallon coral tanks. He is slowly getting stocked up, in fact today he got a good shipment of corals he wanted and a ton of new fish, lionfish, clowns, wrasses, etc. Inverts he said he sold so fast he is going to increase his order. I would say he has a pretty decent stock size now and really only needs to keep it constant with the addition of new types of fish to keep me coming back ;)

I would also like to mention that is dry goods stock is awesome, very complete.

Long story short, I am sad you dismiss this shop because of one person's very subjective opinion. I don't mean to be rude, just opposing what you said from what I have seen and asked the owner about. I got two corals there today, beautiful purple plate coral!! 12 bucks. His prices are pretty fair.

Is it worth the drive from portland? Its ok, I visit him and Garretts from my location.

I agree his fish room is very dark, not sure if it is for the effect of just tank lights on or electricity use. What you are sadly mistaken on is his stock and cleanliness. I am sure you took the time to seek out the owner that is there everyday and ask him these questions, if not I guess I have spent more effort seeking the answers then you. No offense, but his tanks are pretty clean, I would say way more clean then most stores I have visited with the exceptions of maybe Garretts. His stock was low because he doesn't seem to have the hook ups for good corals that he wanted yet and he was having issues with the halide system above his two 300+ gallon coral tanks. He is slowly getting stocked up, in fact today he got a good shipment of corals he wanted and a ton of new fish, lionfish, clowns, wrasses, etc. Inverts he said he sold so fast he is going to increase his order. I would say he has a pretty decent stock size now and really only needs to keep it constant with the addition of new types of fish to keep me coming back ;)

I would also like to mention that is dry goods stock is awesome, very complete.

Long story short, I am sad you dismiss this shop because of one person's very subjective opinion. I don't mean to be rude, just opposing what you said from what I have seen and asked the owner about. I got two corals there today, beautiful purple plate coral!! 12 bucks. His prices are pretty fair.

Is it worth the drive from portland? Its ok, I visit him and Garretts from my location.

I have never seen any 300+ gallon tanks in his shop (besides show tank, or unless you combining all the frag tanks into one size). Last time i was in there, few weeks ago, a few tanks where off due to some infection, one rack on the right was empty, and one tank was full of aiptasia (one was huge! almost wanted it to see how big i could get it lol), and the others where having some major bacteria problems. His bench near the tanks had crap strung everywhere, used soda cups, and crap all over it. Looked like my garage rather than a store lol. Its a shame he doesn't run the same tank setup when it was running at Liquid Sunshine. At least those had a sump for some better filtration. His saltwater tanks where a little cloudy because of all the particles floating around. Maybe you happen to stop by on a good day. But last 4 trips have left me disappointed.

I think owen and drew might be talking about different shops. I have been to the shop in albany, all about fish, only once and it wasnt too long after it opened, the tanks were a bit bare. They did have a very thorough selection of dry goods, the shop is gigantic. And I have only been to the nautulis once, and I wasnt too impressed. I pretty much waled in, looked at a few tanks, wiped the tear from my cheek and left. That was quite a while though and things may have changed

He just did a huge renovation on the shop a couple of months ago. He moved all of the salt water tanks to the back of the shop and he set up a bunch of new ones. The new one don't have anything in them yet, therefor, no lights need to be on. He doesn't have the business to keep a lot of expensive corals.

I agree his fish room is very dark' date=' not sure if it is for the effect of just tank lights on or electricity use. [/quote']

That shop used to be a strip club, there isn't even wiring for over head lighting.