Turning into a Reef Junkie! Plumping questions.

cellowithgills

So I've talked my parents into letting me plumb the tanks (55g and 33L) through the wall and have the sump in my room(laugh)(rock2). So I have just a few questions.

First, I'm going to reduce the DT drain pipe from 1.25" to 1" pvc and split it into 3 1" pvc parts. What can I expect from doing this as far as flow? Secondly, would it cost more to to pvc or vinyl tubing for as much as the plumbing as possible? Thirdly, what's the best way to get through the wall?

I would stay with pvc! Especialy going through the wall. If you use vinyl there is a real possibility of it pinching or other terible things! Also I would keep the overflow as large as posible. Reducing it in size can not only make it so it cant keep up with your return pump but from my own exsperience the smaller the overflow the louder its going to be. If you do go smaller make sure and plumb in a ball valve so you can adjust the flow back into the tank acordingly.

hahaha, respect. i had the same issue/proposition to my parents. they also went along with it.

is it dry wall that you are going through? i just used a drywall saw, the stuff is pretty easy to cut. just make sure you know EXACTLY where you want the whole. i didn't...LOL i now have two sets....

i told my dad i would patch up the hole before i went to college lol.

I would stay with pvc! Especialy going through the wall. If you use vinyl there is a real possibility of it pinching or other terible things! Also I would keep the overflow as large as posible. Reducing it in size can not only make it so it cant keep up with your return pump but from my own exsperience the smaller the overflow the louder its going to be. If you do go smaller make sure and plumb in a ball valve so you can adjust the flow back into the tank acordingly.

The thing is that I have to reduce it so I can fit the bulkheads on the tank that's going under it. I also plan on having a pump line going directly back into the sump, and possibly one or two small lines into the lower tank as well. Every place that leads to where water comes out (drains or pump) will have it's own dedicated valve. I'm not sure if I'll go with gate valves or ball valves yet though.

I'm not sure if this will help:

plumpingdiagram.jpg

I also bought 1" Uniseals instead bulkheads, they were super cheap with the BRS group buy, and I fell like it will serve my needs better.

Other than a shrimp goby pair, I have decided that I'm going to get a couple of pairs for sexy shrimp to try to breed. I may set up a Kreisel tank, or something similar (because I'll finally have the space!!!). Should I have anemones with pairs I'm trying to breed?

Just make sure when drilling holes for those Uni-Seals you double check the size needed and the hole saw, remember it's the outside diameter that you need. Chamfer the end of the PVC pipe and rub some silicone on it so it'll slip thru easier the Uni-seal and push straight don't wiggle back and forth if the acrylic is thin - it'll break (been there done that)

Just make sure when drilling holes for those Uni-Seals you double check the size needed and the hole saw' date=' remember it's the outside diameter that you need. Chamfer the end of the PVC pipe and rub some silicone on it so it'll slip thru easier the Uni-seal and push straight don't wiggle back and forth if the acrylic is thin - it'll break (been there done that)[/quote']

Yes, of course. I made sure to look at the chart on this site ( http://www.saltycritter.com/plumbing.htm ) before I bought it. I got the holes drilled yesterday, I had to drill over the existing 1 1/8" hole. It wasn't fun, but I didn't break anything.