My new Clam! (Pics)

Bigjohnwoody

I have a derasa clam, so it grows way bigger and faster than maximas. I'm a little worried about it outgrowing my tank since they can grow to a couple feet in length.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

No worries! Sounds like a good reason to upgrade. At that rate you'll have a new tank build starting in less than 6 months(laugh)

The best way to boost your pod population is to have somewhere where the pods can thrive/reproduce. A mature refugium helps. Phyto isn't really going to do a whole lot for the pod population...but, theoretically it may help feed baby pods.

As far as dosing goes, just follow the directions on the bottle. I tend to heir on the safe side and add less than they call for. I dose 8 drops nightly in my sps tank(50gal). Just remember, whatever you put in(nutritionally), has to come out some way or another...You want to put enough in for your corals to thrive, but not for pest algae to thrive. Your tank being so new doesn't have alot of filter feeders established quite yet, but it will soon enough...you should be fine dosing 2-3 times per week...feed at night.

The best way to boost your pod population is to have somewhere where the pods can thrive/reproduce. A mature refugium helps. Phyto isn't really going to do a whole lot for the pod population...but, theoretically it may help feed baby pods.

As far as dosing goes, just follow the directions on the bottle. I tend to heir on the safe side and add less than they call for. I dose 8 drops nightly in my sps tank(50gal). Just remember, whatever you put in(nutritionally), has to come out some way or another...You want to put enough in for your corals to thrive, but not for pest algae to thrive. Your tank being so new doesn't have alot of filter feeders established quite yet, but it will soon enough...you should be fine dosing 2-3 times per week...feed at night.

Awesome! Ok maybe I will just go with say 4 drops 3 times a week and I will do it when my lights turn out. I do have a fuge with about 25 pounds of live rock in it and chaeto. I bought a bottle of tigger pods about 2 months ago and I can see pods everywhere but I don't know if it enough to support a mandarin. Any thoughts on that? Do you turn off your skimmer for awhile when you feed the phyto?

$.02 get some of that LR out of the Sump, and get your chaeto growing. That's where your pods will thrive. Mangroves may not be a bad idea...Never too early to start thinking about getting rid of nitrates and phosphates! Love that skimmer, those things are beasts.

do you have a filter sock? I couldnt tel from the pics.

I bought a bottle of tigger pods about 2 months ago and I can see pods everywhere but I don't know if it enough to support a mandarin. Any thoughts on that? Do you turn off your skimmer for awhile when you feed the phyto?

no. not yet. This is probably the second most common mistake...new tanks buying Dragonets. Someone will likely chime in and say "well, i put mine in when my tank was only 2 months old and it is fine!" Let me be the first to say that for every one of these experiences, there are likely hundreds of dead dragonets flushed down the toilet.

They are beautiful, they have a similar curse that the clam has. But...wait! Plus, there are tons of cool fish you can get...some of the wrasses these days are absolutely dynamite. I would recommend a melanarus wrasse if you dont already have one. They are natural predators of pyramid cone snails(the snails that love to kill clams) and a whole bunch of other reef pests(flatworms, bristleworms, etc etc) and the wrasse is completely reef safe. I went with a 6-line, which you can do, but melanarus is a better choice, because you can keep other wrasses with this temperate fish.

Also, fairy wrasses, tangs, etc etc etc...There are some people on here who know alot about fish, they could point you in the right direction.

Once your refugium is rocking and rolling(you will know), get a dragonet to control that massive pod population.

$.02 get some of that LR out of the Sump, and get your chaeto growing. That's where your pods will thrive. Mangroves may not be a bad idea...Never too early to start thinking about getting rid of nitrates and phosphates! Love that skimmer, those things are beasts.

do you have a filter sock? I couldnt tel from the pics.

Well I have been pulling out a ton of chaeto every two weeks. Enough to stuff a gallon freezer bag full. I run GFO and my phosphates hang around 0.10 to 0.00. I have been trying to get my GFO dialed in so I am at about 0.05. I want a little as I am running a mixed reef and I know zoo's and chalices like a little phosphates in the water and I figure it is not enough to hurt my sps. I check with phospahates with a Hanna checker btw. My Nitrates the last two times I have checked have been absolutely zero. I check them with Salifert. I figured I had it pretty well dialed in on my chaeto since it is going so bonkers and my Nitrates are running at 0. I also do weekly 10-15% water changes. I really like the idea of mangroves. I have only read a little on them so I don't know much. I will have to start to read more on them. Do they need a lot of light like coral or will my light on my fuge I am using for my chaeto work? It is a 6300k (I believe) fluorescent I got at HD. I run reverse lighting also to keep my ph up.

no. not yet. This is probably the second most common mistake...new tanks buying Dragonets. Someone will likely chime in and say "well, i put mine in when my tank was only 2 months old and it is fine!" Let me be the first to say that for every one of these experiences, there are likely hundreds of dead dragonets flushed down the toilet.

They are beautiful, they have a similar curse that the clam has. But...wait! Plus, there are tons of cool fish you can get...some of the wrasses these days are absolutely dynamite. I would recommend a melanarus wrasse if you dont already have one. They are natural predators of pyramid cone snails(the snails that love to kill clams) and a whole bunch of other reef pests(flatworms, bristleworms, etc etc) and the wrasse is completely reef safe. I went with a 6-line, which you can do, but melanarus is a better choice, because you can keep other wrasses with this temperate fish.

Also, fairy wrasses, tangs, etc etc etc...There are some people on here who know alot about fish, they could point you in the right direction.

Once your refugium is rocking and rolling(you will know), get a dragonet to control that massive pod population.

Once again Isaac thanks. I really wanted a melanurus wrasse but I have a pair of cleaner shrimp, a pair of blood shrimp, and a pair of harlequins and I am worried about them being eaten. Since they are a part of the halichoeres family. I love the fairy's and flashers though. I really want a Labout's.

Once again Isaac thanks. I really wanted a melanurus wrasse but I have a pair of cleaner shrimp' date=' a pair of blood shrimp, and a pair of harlequins and I am worried about them being eaten. Since they are a part of the halichoeres family. I love the fairy's and flashers though. I really want a Labout's.[/quote']

Big John I have a melanarus and he eats like a pig but leaves the 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 blood shrimps and harlequin alone so I think he would be fine.

The best way to boost your pod population is to have somewhere where the pods can thrive/reproduce. A mature refugium helps. Phyto isn't really going to do a whole lot for the pod population...but' date=' theoretically it may help feed baby pods.[/quote']

Put a sponge in your fuge and after its been in there for a week or two put it into your tank, this is an easy way to introduce pods into your tank.

No worries! Sounds like a good reason to upgrade. At that rate you'll have a new tank build starting in less than 6 months(laugh)

I have a 180 gallon I am slowly setting up, hopefully it will be up before my clam grows too big.

Big John I have a melanarus and he eats like a pig but leaves the 2 cleaner shrimp' date=' 2 blood shrimps and harlequin alone so I think he would be fine.[/quote']

My melanarus leaves my shrimp alone also.

Well I have been pulling out a ton of chaeto every two weeks. Enough to stuff a gallon freezer bag full. I run GFO and my phosphates hang around 0.10 to 0.00. I have been trying to get my GFO dialed in so I am at about 0.05. I want a little as I am running a mixed reef and I know zoo's and chalices like a little phosphates in the water and I figure it is not enough to hurt my sps. I check with phospahates with a Hanna checker btw. My Nitrates the last two times I have checked have been absolutely zero. I check them with Salifert. I figured I had it pretty well dialed in on my chaeto since it is going so bonkers and my Nitrates are running at 0. I also do weekly 10-15% water changes. I really like the idea of mangroves. I have only read a little on them so I don't know much. I will have to start to read more on them. Do they need a lot of light like coral or will my light on my fuge I am using for my chaeto work? It is a 6300k (I believe) fluorescent I got at HD. I run reverse lighting also to keep my ph up.

If you are pulling out that much chaeto, a mandarin may be ok. The longer you wait, the better the conditions get.

Mangroves don't need alot of light. They are actually freshwater plants that have the ability to live in saltwater. They strain freshwater from the saltwater...quite an amazing little plant. They get the nutrients from the water, so flourescent lighting is fine. Halides are ok, but it is best to acclimate the mangroves to that type of lighting.

way off topic...

If you are pulling out that much chaeto' date=' a mandarin may be ok. The longer you wait, the better the conditions get.[/quote']

Don't tell me that I am a sucker for pretty things. Since I am going to Garrett's Saturday and if by chance I walk out with one don't hate on me. lol. I will buy a plenum of tigger pods, arctic pods, and whatever else I can get that thing to eat just incase. I will have so many pods in my tank the tank water will be cloudy. rofl If I decide to buy one, but if he has a wrasse I want I will for sure buy that first. May get a yellow tang as well. This thread is way off topic now. (It's my fault) I will be posting a pic of my clam tonight for everyone to enjoy.