Plumbing Help

racefan

I got my 40B plumbed & filled it with water to check for leaks & test things out(no leaks(clap)) this is where I'm confused(doesn't take a lot) I have a glass-holes 700gpm overflow kit with a submersible pump & 3/4" loc lines for returns(2) when I shut the power off the tank drains back through the returns. I have to either keep the returns pointed up towards the top of the water or lower the water level in the sump lower than I'd like it to be. Any solutions? Mike

I got my 40B plumbed & filled it with water to check for leaks & test things out(no leaks(clap)) this is where I'm confused(doesn't take a lot) I have a glass-holes 700gpm overflow kit with a submersible pump & 3/4" loc lines for returns(2) when I shut the power off the tank drains back through the returns. I have to either keep the returns pointed up towards the top of the water or lower the water level in the sump lower than I'd like it to be. Any solutions? Mike

I drilled a siphon break on the return, just a hair under the water line, that way when the pump shuts off, and it starts back syphoning, it only drains just a little bit before it starts sucking air and breaks the syphon. I did this by just taking a small drill bit (can't remember what size, either 1/8 or 1/4) and just drilled one hole.

I will snap a picture and post it here in a few minutes, I am sure there is a spot just under the water line that you can drill this hole into, this will create a syphon break.

Here is a picture of one of my returns....Are you able to do anything like this? It works great....

P1000805.jpg

• Like 1

I drilled a siphon break on the return, just a hair under the water line, that way when the pump shuts off, and it starts back syphoning, it only drains just a little bit before it starts sucking air and breaks the syphon. I did this by just taking a small drill bit (can't remember what size, either 1/8 or 1/4) and just drilled one hole.

I will snap a picture and post it here in a few minutes, I am sure there is a spot just under the water line that you can drill this hole into, this will create a syphon break.

Yup, that will work like a charm and much safer than using a check valve.

Mikes reterns might be all loc line. Guess you could still just drill one of the knukles and point it down.

Thats what I was thinking too, Should still be able to drill a hole in the top of one of them, maybe the closest one to the surface of the water line, then angle the rest of the lockline down, that way it would still only drain to the first knuckle with the hole and break the syphon....just an idea, might work.