I Need Coral Advice

DChemist

After my tank crash last week, things are recovering. Corals I thought I lost are coloring up and have polyp extension.

As a result of the crash though, my tank is cycling. First were diatoms (golden brown)- which I could blow off the recovering corals with a turkey baster. Now I'm having a fine green algae growing on the corals. They don't blow off and I'm growing concerned they will interfere will the coral's recovery. I'm not sure what to do about this.

I've thought of some options but need your advice. I could...

• Leave the corals alone and let them recover on their own if they can.
  • Add hermit crabs- I've got just a couple and I do see them eating the algae growing on the coral.
  • Add an algae eating fish- If I add a fish; which would be best? I think adding a Tang would only be temporary, the tank is only 40 gallons.
  • Brush the algae off with a soft bristled toothbrush. Would this damage the corals?
  • Run a phosphate remover in a bag in the skimmer.

Has anyone else had this same experience? Any other ideas?

Thats tough. We are talking about recovering stonies i assume??

Algae growing on the skeletons is not helping your cause.

I wouldnt run a phosphate remover. Giving recovering stonies a shot of aluminum or iron(whichever you choose) isnt a good thing. Of course i will let you know that after a experience a couple months ago i will never use rowaphos or any phosphate remover again. I wouldnt use the aluminum based before that regardless.

Im not sure crabs or fish is going to help...if i had to pick a fish in your circumstances i wouold probably pick a scribbled rabbit as he would be fine in your tank after the fact...that and hes a cool fish

Moving them to a clean tank would be my first choice under the conditions...but that may not be afeasible choice.

I assume the algae is growing on skeleton next to tissue?? If so...instead of scrubbing with a toothbrush, i would probably take some superglue and cover it up just into the healthy flesh. I think this would be a better option than scrubbing and having it just grow right back........

Probably not much help.......just figured id offer my thoughts.........sorry to hear of your troubles :(

Probably a 10% water change every day or two and skimming really wet couldnt hurt. Maybe even skim so wet that your skimmer does your water changes for you would be a good idea.....not sure if you have the time or set up to deal with that though...

Fly, thank you for your thoughts... I have been skimming as wet as my CPR HOB will allow. I haven't been aggressively changing water- because things have been going well (until this algae growth). I was planning another 25% this weekend.

Fly- Thanks again for your advice... I picked up a scribbled rabbitfish from Patrick at Saltwater Fanta-Seas today. He's doing very well- already eating. Buying it felt very impulsive but I feel it is one of my best options. Even supported in recent studies (naughty). http://presszoom.com/story_124042.html Only drawback will be selling or trading him if he outgrows the 40.

I've also added some more red legged hermits. They've camped out where I placed them and are eating too.

Darren i have that same algae. Mine grew in the same order you described, diatoms, then fine green algae. Grows long strands, mostly on my glass or coral skeltons. It doesn't seem to bother any of my SPS, its growing pretty quickly and is easy to pull out with your hands. A couple of my tiny tiny SPS pieces left have this stuff growing all around them and i've gotten real good growth from the SPS regardless of the algae.

My desjardini tang absolutely loves the stuff though so i'm reluctant to scrape it all. I imagine it will all be gone in a month or so.

Impur- That's comforting to hear. In the 36 hours since I've added the hermits and rabbitfish, nearly all of the green algae growing on my purple monti cap is gone. I was out of the house all day yesterday, so I can't say whether it was just the hermits or if the rabbitfish helped. Eitherway, I can report some success.