Help me pic a new lighting system

Nate

I have a 40B that has a e-bay T5 set up on it. I need something better and have around $500 to spend. So far I've found these 2 does anyone have any input on either or know of something better?

http://www.marineandreef.com/Marineland_Marine_Series_Pro_Metal_Halide_36_p/rml32981.htm

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=AquaticLifeHIDT5Light&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison&utm_term=10901055&utm_campaign=AquaticLifeHIDT5Light

If I had those two to choose from, I like the Aquaticlife casue it has two 150w lights, BUT it only has one T5 on each side, where the marineland single has 2 T5's on each side. The main issue I see is the single Metal Halide might not be very bright on the edges of the tank, if you suspended it above a ways, it might be better. The refectors are pretty small, like on my sunpod, so having two is better in my opinion.

The cool thing about the aquaticlife one is that the metal halides can be rotated, I have never seen one being used, but the reflectors are even smaller, so unless its suspended it might cast a "spotlight" effect.

I would go with the Marineland, it says it has a 14k bulb with it, and not a 10k, that with the 2 T5's would be a good setup I think, if you suspended it a bit off the tank, I think it would look really good.

The 36" aquaticlife only has 1 150w bulb the picture shown is the 48"

Oh...then for sure, if I had to pick those two, I would go with the Marineland, Company has been around a long time, it has two T5's instead of just one, and the reflector is bigger and better on it, PLUS, I don't know this for a fact, but it seems easier to find the 150w DE bulbs pretty much anywhere, those other special "G12" bulbs, seem harder to find here, that is another thing to consider, the availablity of the bulbs and what K rating bulbs are available. They might be big in Europe, but not so much here, at least at the moment. I have never seen one in use, so I would be sketched about it being like a spot light effect, where the marineland has a larger reflector and would spread the light out better I think.

None of the two lol

Ati Sunpower 36 6 bulbs. Around $500

Lumen Max 2 + ballast + bulb (250W). Around $300-$330 depending on bulb/ballast combo. The Max 2 do cover a 40b really well. I have one setup and I like it a lot. You can get crazy par values, like 550 on the bottom.

If you go with a good 20k on the halide, you don't need actinics.

With both the combinations suggested you can keep everything you want, even in the bottom of the tank

I have a single 250 hqi mh bulb in the center of my 40b and it does a pretty [language filter] good job of lighting the entire setup. Also the more MH's you add, even one, is going to raise that tank temp, do you want a chiller? or have one? I run 250 hqi mh with 2 t5 actinics and it pushes my temp. limits pretty hard, but looks really good.

Also you might be interested in building a canopy and doing custom retrofits, fun project.

I second what Alex suggested, the ATI is the way to go, I ran a MH over my 40b for almost a year, switched over to a 6 bulb TEK light an won't go back to Halides, at least not over a 40b, if we had the money to spend, we'd be all over the ATI, it's the Lamborghini of T5 systems.