Swimming in the Sunshine

Smann

WOW....I don't know what to compliment first, your daughters picture taking ability or how cool your tank looks in natural sunlight! Beautiful pics...of a beautiful tank! thanks for sharing them, sometimes when your eyes are used to seeing these fish and corals under 14-20K lighting, when you see them under natural sunlight it give them a whole new perspective, its pretty cool....

There was a thread on RC I believe it was where a guy got rid of his halides an T5's an put in Solar Tubes for his reef lighting, he claims his growth has gone through the roof an his corals n fish have never looked happier, the only downside is the colors don't pop quite as much, but I think it'd be a fair trade-off, as long as you lived in an area where you could take advantage of it LOL.

Half my tank gets an hour or two of sunlight a day through my front window if i open the blinds... my fish seem to love it. Colors don't pop as much though but works out since the lower half gets the most light where the T5's don't seem to provide enough.

Really nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

IIRC Calfo has a greenhouse that he used to (or possibly still does) grow most of his corals in. He lives near Pittsburg and even in the winter growth is better under natural sunlight than anything else. I guess 6 to 8 hours of the real thing blows away 12 hrs of MH.

I recall that RC thread too...was a pretty sweet tank, something like 8 feet wide with 3 solar tubes over it. One upside of natural lighting is you can buy cheaper crappy colored corals since most stuff will be pretty brown anyway:p

• 9 months later...