What base water do you use? Tap? RO? RO/DI? DI? NSW?

MVPaquatics

What base water do you use? Tap? RO? RO/DI? DI? NSW?  

1. 1.

last time I was at hatfield they said people could use their source for NSW. They have a pipeline offshore and I thought it was open to the public.

I have no doubt ro/di is the best. But I am talking large volume. Say your system is 10000 gallons. That's a lot of wasted water and at that point resin may be cheaper. And time is money. That would take weeks to make. I was wondering at what point it becomes more econimical and enviornmentally friendly to cut out waste water.

Sometimes I think consistancy is more important than purity. My sps have lived through many different conditions. They can stand not-perfect water, they will adjust, but they hate yo-yoing around.

time to bust out the calculator and check some numbers lol.

• 3 weeks later...
last time I was at hatfield they said people could use their source for NSW. They have a pipeline offshore and I thought it was open to the public.

Sometimes I think consistancy is more important than purity. My sps have lived through many different conditions. They can stand not-perfect water, they will adjust, but they hate yo-yoing around.

time to bust out the calculator and check some numbers lol.

+1 on consistancy!

When we use DI-RO water, we practically strip it of everything water could carry dissolved in it. After that, adding a consistent amounts of salts, and other additives to make it the desired quality of Sea water! And this process is reproducible, as you start every time from same quality of water aka DI-RO water.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. Si I tried to save the water by recycling it back through the RO membrane. At it seems like it works pretty well. The water pressure is holding and so is tds at 0. After making about 25 g of water each time, I flush the system for ~10 min to make sure the all membrane impermeant impurities are out of the system! And start it back again.

Here are some of the picks.

IMG00113-20110215-0009.jpg

IMG00114-20110215-0010.jpg