Bangai Cardinal and Schooling/Shoaling Fish Question

ReefSafari

For those of you who have kept Bangai Cardinals can you keep multiples together? if so how many would be a good group?

I have a 40b that I currently have had a lone Bangia Cardinal that has been doing very well, and I really like him, and would like to get more, but some places tell you not to keep many together especially when they pair off.

I am not currently worried about breeding them, I am more looking for a small fish that would school/shoal in a small group for the 40b, I have contemplated things like Chromis, Zebra Barred Dartfish (I currently have a lone firefish already though)

I would like to add a few more fish eventually and would love suggestions, there are a few fish I could do without currently in the tank and not be heart broken if they where replaced by something else, but here is what I currently have in the 40b.

Royal Gramma

Bangai Cardinal

Firefish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Percula Clownfish x2

Should I just stick with the current bioload, thats 6 fish in a 40b(scratch) I don't care much for the Perculas, and if I had to I could let go of the Firefish to get a school of something, but the Bangai, Yellow Watchman goby and especially the Royal Gramma I can't bare to part with, they are special to me.

I would be ok with maybe 2 Bangai's, but could you keep more than that? Any suggestions on small reef safe fish that can be kept in small groups of 3 or so? The problem I keep finding is I would love to have several Firefish, but many say they fight with each other, same with Goby's, Royal Grammas, Psudechromis, ect...I would love to find a small reef safe fish that can be kept in small groups or at least several.

When I go to the LFS and see them with like 6-10 Bangai's together its really cool looking, for some reason its hard for me to find small reef safe fish that I like(scratch) Any suggestions?

What small reef safe fish have you kept or currently keep that youi really liked?

NOTE: This is not something I plan on doing right away, I am just trying to get ideas, I won't be adding anything new to my tank for a while, but while things are cycling I might as well get some ideas....right?...lol

PB160153.jpg

yo

Bangais ' dont make good group fish unless they are a small pair. As they get older the dominent male will start x'ing off the others until it is just him. I agree with maybe a small lot of firefish. If those dont sound apealing you should speak to Garrett. He has the hook up on Helfrich firefish sometimes and got me and a friend a few of them awhile back. Beautiful fish!

To me you have a good load in your 40B. I wouldn't add anything. But if you do I would think a firefish or 2 would work best. They seem to school together and from my experiences they do not tend to fight with the others after they pair up. Which bangai and chromis do.

Just my $.02

Thanks, I kinda was thinking the same thing about the bioload, I think I have enough fish, but what I might do is let go of maybe one of the Perculas, and replace it with another firefish, keeping the same number of fish but just a pair of Firefish instead of a pair of perculas....(plotting)

Bangais ' dont make good group fish unless they are a small pair. As they get older the dominent male will start x'ing off the others until it is just him.I agree with maybe a small lot of firefish. If those dont sound apealing you should speak to Garrett. He has the hook up on Helfrichis firefish sometimes and got me and a friend a few of them awhile back. Beautiful fish!

Thanks, Its too bad bangai Cardinals don't get along, they would looks so cool in a group swimming together, I am super happy with the one I have, but I am happy I have at least him/her. I do really like the Firefish...ALOT, but I was under the impression they too will fight with members of thier own kind, but I also see them in groups at LFS.....two Firefish would be cool, and possibly hang out together....

Thanks for your replies, looks like in the future I might ad a Firefish then(clap)

Check this out http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23106 He breeds them' date=' so he would probably be the best person to ask[/quote']

MVP Aquatics, Thats who it was.....THANKS!! I was trying to remember who was talking about them a while back, I tried doing a search but for some reason I couldn't find anything, and couldn't remember what the forum name/handle the person had.....THANKS!

Thanks, I kinda was thinking the same thing about the bioload, I think I have enough fish, but what I might do is let go of maybe one of the Perculas, and replace it with another firefish, keeping the same number of fish but just a pair of Firefish instead of a pair of perculas....(plotting)

Thanks, Its too bad bangai Cardinals don't get along, they would looks so cool in a group swimming together, I am super happy with the one I have, but I am happy I have at least him/her. I do really like the Firefish...ALOT, but I was under the impression they too will fight with members of thier own kind, but I also see them in groups at LFS.....two Firefish would be cool, and possibly hang out together....

Thanks for your replies, looks like in the future I might ad a Firefish then(clap)

Check out the Helfrich firefish - very beautiful

MVP Aquatics' date=' Thats who it was.....THANKS!! I was trying to remember who was talking about them a while back, I tried doing a search but for some reason I couldn't find anything, and couldn't remember what the forum name/handle the person had.....THANKS![/quote']

Now if I can just remember what my professor says this term LOL

If I was a guessing man(which sometimes I am) I would say you have a female bangaii. You can keep a pair but not usually more than that. Once a pair is established they will chase off any others. My bangaii's are spawning now but I haven't been able to get the male to hold the eggs past 5 days so far. The reason you see groups of them at the stores is that they haven't paired off yet.