Clam Growth?

bace

Short back story here. I've had a maximas calm for probably close to a year now. I did enough research to make sure that I could keep it alive. Waiting a little over 6 months before I bought it. It is still very healthy and growing however at the time I didn't know about needing to feeding them if they are under 3" Something I've only just learned recently. When I bought it it was around 2". Tim (Westside) sent me with a bottle of DTs and told me how to spot feed it after first asking me about my lights, tank size and age of my tank (part of the reason Westside is my LFS of choice) to make sure I wouldn't get it home just to kill it.

My question here is about what is a good amount of growth expected from a healthy clam? I about mine at probably about 2.5" maybe a little smaller and is about 3" now I'm not quite sure how long I've had it but it's probably about a year now. Is about 0.5" a decent amount? I also stopped feeding it some time ago as well.

T. Maxima grow only 0.8 to 1.6 inches (2 to 4 cm) a year.

Feeding after the juvenile stage is not proven to be useful, if not dangerous: they use the same organ for eating and breathing, so somebody suggested that they can choke.

Your clam seems to have an average growth. The values I gave you are from studies done in their natural habitat, not in a tank. So I suppose it really depends on the tank.

Thanks Alex. That's what I've found out after a little research. I've decided that if I ever get another clam I'll look for a 3" plus one and not feed. I'd have been sad if it died on me. I may have just gotten luck after I bought one so small.

btw. It was nice meeting you ate the xmas party :)