feather duster wont open

notpennysboat

What are your water parameters? I think Nitrates would have the biggest impact on this but could be others also. Do you have any shrimp in the tank? Some peppermint shrimp eat them and some fish may pick at them and keep them from opening.

Nitrate .20

nitrite .00

ph 7.8 (i know its low)

amoni 0.0

spec grav 1.023

no shrimp, just crabs (blue hermit), snails and fish.

the post down below talks about pulling of a "plastic" type membrane.

not sure what that is or why it would not be there at my LFS and its back on when i put it in my tank.

Thanks for the help guys

Nitrate .20

nitrite .00

ph 7.8 (i know its low)

amoni 0.0

spec grav 1.023

no shrimp, just crabs (blue hermit), snails and fish.

not sure what that is or why it would not be there at my LFS and its back on when i put it in my tank.

Thanks for the help guys

How about alkalinity? What lighting and schedule are you using? Where in the tank did you put it?

Thanks for the help guys

Ummm dude... Reef165 was joking around... the old feather dusters our grandparents use to use to dust had a plastic sheath.... He was makin a joke!

BTW... salinity and pH is low, so I am guessing you alk is low too.... when did you do your last water change? How much do you do at a time. How old is the tank?

Ummm dude... Reef165 was joking around... the old feather dusters our grandparents use to use to dust had a plastic sheath.... He was makin a joke!

BTW... salinity and pH is low, so I am guessing you alk is low too.... when did you do your last water change? How much do you do at a time. How old is the tank?

water change was a day ago, and in my 35g tank i do 5g water changes about every 2weeks. Ive been trying to once a week to get the nitrates down. My tank is almost 2 yrs old.

About lighting and placement... i have a T5 light w/ 4 39w (2 blue, 2 white)

FD is in the 2" sand bed. Should i have it somewhere closer to the lights?

I have my lights on from 12pm to about 11pm ish.

as far as my alkalinity, i dont have a test for that and will get that right away. What is a good alkalinity measument to have? I do know that my ph is low and am trying to get it up. This has been the first ttime since i started the tank that it has been below 8.4. not sure why the sudden drop(scratch)

....a joke.... thats great! DOH! like i said in my introduction post here at pnwmas im still very much learning all the time and i guess im gullable right now. (laugh)

thanks so much for all your help, i hope i get this right soon.. and please any other advise would be very much helpful.

What type of salt are you using? If you are not putting back enough nutrients back into the tank since it sounds well established your parameters could be off from that as well if your not dosing.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

im using the instant ocean brand. Is there better ones out there?

i have been using the same brand since i started also...

How are you trying to get pH up? The only way you should is by controlling alk and make sure there is good gas exchange.

Well since i just found out how low my ph has been all i was doing was some research on how to get it up. is there additives you can add to do such a thing?. Also i was reading on other post about ph here was adding some air hoses to your skimmer.. I dont have mine set up yet so i cant do that.

I am running an open top tank, Could that be causeing the problems?

Open top is great.

Is a power head moving the water around so you see ripples on the top of the water?

Other than that, don't worry too much about pH. Just get your alk tested and add baking soda solution/alk additive if needed. I suggest you buy an alk test kit. You should know how to maintain these:

temperature

specific gravity/salinity

alk

cal

Madreefer, thanks for your help.

I am getting a new powerhead this wednesday and ill make sure its doing what your talking about. So it sounds like i need to get two more test kits; ALK & Cal. Thanks.

What are good ratings for those for a reef tank? (or what are you running yours at)?

I currently test for PH, Nitra, Nitri, Amonia, and SG.

Do you think the ALK and Cal are affecting my Feather duster? Or is it the PH? or should i move it somewhere?

I run alk at 8-9 dKH. Cal about 350-450

If the alk is low, the pH will be low. This will start dissolving stuff in the aquarium. Also it will make it hard for animals to build things like shells and skeleton. So it could be part of the problem with the feather duster.

Honestly I've heard mostly bad things about feather dusters, such as they die slowly unless they have a lot of tiny food that can be supplied by a big refugium. So in a small tank like yours, I'm not sure how good the idea is of having one at all. Hopefully others with more experience with feather dusters will chime in with more information specific to their care.