Cleaner Shrimp With Clam

Mitchell

Do any of you have a cleaner shrimp and a clam in the same tank. I heard from some places that cleaner shrimp will eat my clam and now I'm worried because I have a cleaner shrimp and I am getting a clam in the mail Tuesday.

I also need to know how tall my new derasa clam will grow, I know they will grow pretty long but I need to know how tall they grow in order to put it in a spot that wont block corals in the future.

Sounds like it should be fine with the shrimp, that's a relief. My tank has been 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate for three weeks and I didn't get a spike when I added my yellow tang and royal gramma. My calcium is at 500 is that good or should I somehow lower it? Oh and the clam I'm getting is 3+ inches

Sounds like it should be fine with the shrimp' date=' that's a relief. My tank has been 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate for three weeks and I didn't get a spike when I added my yellow tang and royal gramma. My calcium is at 500 is that good or should I somehow lower it? Oh and the clam I'm getting is 3+ inches[/quote']

There is more to it than just having good parameters. A new tank (Less than a year or so) doesn't have a huge amount of microscopic food which many of the things we get really should have. Clams are one of the things that really need this. Since your already commited be sure to get some oyster feast or similar and then spot feed it every couple of days. Alternatively you can make your own food to feed the tank and include oyster feast in the recipe. (A lot of corals will feed on it too) There are a couple of alternatives however the clams need a very fine food so keep that in mind.

There is more to it than just having good parameters. A new tank (Less than a year or so) doesn't have a huge amount of microscopic food which many of the things we get really should have. Clams are one of the things that really need this. Since your already commited be sure to get some oyster feast or similar and then spot feed it every couple of days. Alternatively you can make your own food to feed the tank and include oyster feast in the recipe. (A lot of corals will feed on it too) There are a couple of alternatives however the clams need a very fine food so keep that in mind.

I used all dry rock and sand to set up my tank, will I ever get the microscopic food in my tank? I ordered a bag of reefpods along with my clam and hermits. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=GV00005&child=GV00005&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=PST2-GV00005

It says the copepods are in live phyto, I read phyto is a good food for clams. Will that be enough food until I can get the oyster feast for it next weekend? Also the clam I ordered is larger than 3 inches is feeding still necessary?

With a tank that is not established, feeding is extremely necessary. What kind of lighting do you have anyway? Seriously dude, the best advice I can give is to either find a way to cancel the order, or find someone who can hold the clam for you until you are sure your tank is established enough to hold the clam.

With a tank that is not established' date=' feeding is extremely necessary. What kind of lighting do you have anyway? Seriously dude, the best advice I can give is to either find a way to cancel the order, or find someone who can hold the clam for you until you are sure your tank is established enough to hold the clam.[/quote']

I have a 216 watt HO T5 fixture. The tank is 55 gallons and I planned on putting the clam on my sand.

Other than oyster feast what foods could I feed the clam?

I have a 216 watt HO T5 fixture. The tank is 55 gallons and I planned on putting the clam on my sand.

Other than oyster feast what foods could I feed the clam?

I'm by far not a clam expert but I'm thinking with T5's your going to want that clam at least in the middle of your tank not on the sand bed.

I used all dry rock and sand to set up my tank' date=' will I ever get the microscopic food in my tank? I ordered a bag of reefpods along with my clam and hermits. [url']http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=GV00005&child=GV00005&utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=PST2-GV00005[/url]

It says the copepods are in live phyto, I read phyto is a good food for clams. Will that be enough food until I can get the oyster feast for it next weekend? Also the clam I ordered is larger than 3 inches is feeding still necessary?

To really get a good population going you need to use some live rock and live sand to seed the rest. It is even more important to give it time to establish if you used mostly dry rock and sand.

Even larger clams are filter feeders. Phyto will be fine to get by until you can get some oyster feast. I would actually alternate between them. Yes, even with it being a larger clam it will still need spot feeding if you don't have the "filter foods" already growing in the water column.