T5 Combos

bace

So I have a 48" 4x54w T5 fixture and am just curious about good combos as I'm just using the ones that came with it. DOH!

I talked with Frank for a bit today When he dropped off a frag for me and suggested I talk with ..... I forgot (scratch).... so I'm just asking for everyone's opinion .(clap)

Hop over on ReefCentral I believe it is, and talk to someone called grimreefer or something like that, he's supposed to be an expert and has tested the various bulb combos, and if you tell him what size tank you have, what you're planning on keeping, he'll tell you exactly which bulb combo to get. Nick at RoseCity told me about him, I haven't messaged him yet, but I've heard about him from other peeps as well.

thank you madmike as you say the same thing

Where do you think I got my info ;) Grim is a cool guy!

Reefgeek has all the T5s you could ever want and they stock the KZ bulbs. You should really look at switching out the aquablue special with a new gen KZ. The aquablue special is kinda yellow and I have heard the KZ new gen is a great bulb.

Where do you think I got my info ;) Grim is a cool guy!

Reefgeek has all the T5s you could ever want and they stock the KZ bulbs. You should really look at switching out the aquablue special with a new gen KZ. The aquablue special is kinda yellow and I have heard the KZ new gen is a great bulb.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/Korallen_Zucht_%28KZ%29/54W_New_Generation_14000K_T5_HO_Fluorescent_by_Korallen_Zucht this one here? if so sure I'll give it a shot.

so I got my new lamps today and put them in. I went with the KZ bulb simply because I don't know any better and was open to whatever was suggested. Also a new bulb seemed cool so why not.

I already notice that the tank is a little dimmer but that's ok because the colors.. oh man the COLORS they are incredible to me!!! right now I have nothing but pissed off corals so I'll take pictures later but seeing the change first had is amazing.

Yes... Great thread. I've been wondering the same thing and have just been using the traditional bulbs. Growth has been great, but I'm hoping for a little more color. Also, there is a bit of color difference in the same coral near the top, a little bleached out, vs on on the bottom that is very bright and colorful with my current bulbs. Maybe using this combo will even out everything

Sorry to add another post' date=' but I also wanted to make sure this lighting combo is being used wthout MHs? Clarifying this is most beneficial for LPS as well instead of SPS... right? I've not had any luck with SPS and my T-5s.[/quote']

yes I only have the t5s and no I don't have any sps. just softys and lps

Sorry to add another post' date=' but I also wanted to make sure this lighting combo is being used wthout MHs? Clarifying this is most beneficial for LPS as well instead of SPS... right? I've not had any luck with SPS and my T-5s.[/quote']

If you have a good fixture (good reflectors mostly) this bulbs combo is right for sps and clams in the sandbed

Yep' date=' the proper T5 reflectors and cooling will allow you to grow just about anything including light loving anenomes and clams![/quote']

My clam is about in the center of the tank but I am sure it would do fine on the sand. My reflectors seem of good quality and the fixture runs really cool. it has 3 fans on it.

• 4 weeks later...